Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.
30970729

I replaced the monitor data cable on a Tosh C70-A 17" laptop

Customer Question

I replaced the monitor data cable on a Tosh C70-A 17" laptop because the previous cable developed broken wires in the bundle due to being opened and closed within the hinge. Even though it was a clean easy replacement, something is not right. The monitor comes on, and brightens and darkens, but there are no graphics or color.. Just grey screen. Also, the computer might have another issue since it usually plays noises when it starts, but doesn't now, even though the drive is actively being accessed. Any clues as to where to look for mistakes? (I thought I was real careful, and didn't rush the repair, so beyond checking the connections, I'm a bit baffled.)
Thanks soooo much!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Have you tried removing and re-attaching the cable again to ensure it is securely connected at both ends?Did you observe suitable anti-static precautions when carrying out the repair, to ensure the sensitive electronic components did not get damaged? If not, then some damage from static shock may have occurred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Turns out that the damaged cable itself shorted and blew something on the motherboard, so my attempted repair was doomed from the outset. Motherboard too expensive to replace, so just bought a used one that is same model for less. Funny how that works.

Thanks.