Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

My wired internet connection keeps dropping .. my provider

Customer Question

My wired internet connection keeps dropping .. my provider came out replaced modem checked lines and said all was good. Issue seemed resolved but then it happened again. So I did chat support .. they said to renew my IP address but when I went to follow steps it says my media is disconnected . I just need my internet to stay connected via the modem so I can work ( I work from home cannot use Wifi) .
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Is your internet wired, or wireless?
If wireless, you may simply have a defective router.
If the wireless function is part of the modem that you have already had replaced, that might not be the case.
If your internet is wired (or, by Ethernet cable directly to the modem or modem-router), then you may simply have a malware infection on your computer, that is so badly programmed (they often are) that it cannot communicate over your internet line, without knocking your connection offline.
As for the renewal of IP address, leading to a 'media disconnected' message, that's typical of a wireless internet connection, where your computer is not configured to automatically connect again... failing to connect again after the renewal of IP address, it sees the connection as 'disconnected'.
And if your connection is wireless, granted that there is no separate router, I would say in that case also, you might well have malware on your computer, that disrupts the connection.
But let me know the details, and I will advise you further.