Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have to run my desktop computer with windows 7 in safe

Customer Question

I have to run my desktop computer with windows 7 in safe mode all the time, but have no sound. Is there a way to get sound to apply in safe mode?
Category: Computer
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! So because safe mode doesn't load all of the drivers needed for sound, it normally wouldn't work, but I have a video tutorial for you that will show you how to manually enable sound via registry editor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=51&v=tYPrLcVAeNA
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Here is a a written list of instruction in case you prefer this over video: Run (⊞Win+R) regeditPress Ctrl+FMake sure Keys, Values, and Data are all selectedType in Sound, video and game controllersClick [Find Next]Take note of the branch address in the status bar at the bottom (it will be something like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-09002BE10318})Copy the device-driver GUID (the long numeric part between braces) and paste it somewhere like NotepadNavigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\NetworkCreate a new key (right-click, select New → Key)Copy the GUID you saved and paste it into the key nameEdit the (Default) value and type Sound, video and game controllersCreate several new keys (under Network) called AudioEndpointBuilder, MMCSS and AudiosrvEdit the (Default) values of each of the new keys and type ServiceReboot (you’ll boot into safe-mode)Open the Services snap-in (⊞Win+R → services.msc)Start the Multimedia Class Scheduler, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and Windows Audio Service services