Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

I somehow lost the volume icon from my computer. I have microsoft

Customer Question

I somehow lost the volume icon from my computer. I have microsoft xp. i was deleting programs from my computer maybe I did something wrong
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Make sure only to delete programs if you know what they are, a lot of the others can be needed by windows.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and paste or type the following command in the Open box, and then click OK:
mmsys.cpl
Click to select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box.
Click OK.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see place volume icon
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Click start and then runt, type in:
sndvol32.exe
Then press enter. What happens? That should start the volume control program unless it is missing.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says windows can,t find it. just to let you know i use firefox
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok, thank you however Firefox should not have anything to do with this issue. That error means the file was deleted. Click on start, right click on my computer and then click on properties in the right click menu. What version of windows xp does it say you have? Do you still have your windows xp disc?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have professional xp
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Do you still have your windows xp disc?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I have the disc. its an old computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please make sure to read this answer completely before doing any of it.
There are only a few ways to get the file needed off the disc or by using this form:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/technicalsupport?wa=wsignin1.0
If you have to go through Microsoft the file you need to request is sndvol32.exe. We need to then put it inside the system32 folder to do that follow these steps once you have the file:
Click on start and then my computer.
Click on view at the top and folder options, choose to show all hidden files and folders then click ok.
Go back into my computer and open the windows folder which would have been hidden before.
Inside here open the system32 folder, copy and paste the sndvol32.exe file into this folder.
If you have another XP computer or know someone who does you can probably get the file off their computer as well. You would get it in the same folder I just mentioned putting it into.
.