Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

Asus desktop windows 8: 1-1/2 years old and biggest problem

Customer Question

asus desktop windows 8:
1-1/2 years old and biggest problem I have is the computer boots up but no video on monitor besides I have a lighted keyboard which doesn't light up either when problem happens. after a number of boots you can hear when computer fully starts. almost sounds like a growl
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Is this a desktop or laptop computer? How old is the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said in the beginning it is a 1 1/2 year old desktop
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I apologize you did say the age but not that it was a desktop so thank you for clarifying that. Hold the power button and listen while your hand is on it. Do you feel the hard drive spin? Do the fans turn on?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did say desktop..please look at the beginning. "Asus desktop windows 8. 1 1/2 years old. As far as the bootup I just restarted the computer and I know I heard and felt the fans but couldnt hear the hard drive_lleast in old days you had a light on it. Then about 3 minutes later I heard the growl unlike old days when I knew the sound of a hd
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That's odd I don't know why I missed that. I must have still been waking up, I apologize. If you put your hand on it you should be able to feel the hard drive if it spins. The growl I would need to hear, it could be anything from the heat sink fan to the hard drive itself without being able to hear it. If you do not feel it spin, that coupled with the missing video and no power getting from the port to the keyboard, and assuming the noise is the heat sink fans bearing would indicate the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced. If you give me the model number on the Asus I can look up the part for you. If you do feel the hard drive spinning let me know as it could be something else.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response.wasnt e en thinking about the mb. Weirld having this problem barely after 1year and only getting worse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw the computer will start on its own sometimes with/without sleep function
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately this can happen with all brands regardless of age. An extended warranty would normally cover this. If you have the model number I can look up the price of the board for you. The labor if you do not do it yourself is usually between $50 and $75 depending on the shop. You can usually also replace it with a Gigabyte board instead of an OEM one which in my opinion tend to be more reliable anyway. They also usually cost under $100.
From what you are telling me I believe the board needs to be replaced just in case here is what I would do in order to confirm if I had the machine in front of me. Make sure you ground yourself before doing this by touching something metal first as static shocks can fry just about every part in the computer.
Disconnect anything connect to the computer at all including keyboard etc just leave the power connected. Then try turning it on. Hold the power button to turn it off. If the same thing happens and you know how to open it next disconnect the hard drive and any CD drives. Remove all but one stick of RAM and if your video card is an add in card remove that as well.
Try turning it on again. If the same thing happens the motherboard needs to be replaced. If it starts the fan stays on and there is no sound connect the monitor. If you see the POST black and white screen the motherboard should still be good. Hold the power button to turn it off and connect the hard drive, test again. Repeat this until you find which part it is.
If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Asus.
.