Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

In my computer, Linux 14.04 LTS installed.How do I know the

Customer Question

In my computer, Linux 14.04 LTS installed.
How do I know the details of computer's motherboard,CPU,RAM details, what brands of HDD,CPU,RAMs etc ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Some at least of those details may be seen in the opening messages given to the console by the Linux operating system itself.
This can be viewed by the
dmesg
command, which reproduces the buffered copy of the opening messages from the 'kernel' when the computer starts up and initializes the kernel, etc. Those opening messages do tend to start with a statement of the CPU type and the RAM-installed-amount.
Whether the brand or model of the HDD, etc., will be stated in the dmesg, is another question.
The command
hdparm
when properly used with the right parameters, can tell you about the hard disk. For an example, there is the
hdparm -I /dev/sda
or
hdparm -L /dev/sda
will tell you that information, if the hard disk is an SATA drive. If the hard disk is IDE / EIDE, then you should try
hdparm -I /dev/hda
and if the hard disk is a SCSI device, you can use this command instead:
scsi_id -a /block/sda
or
scsi_id -gus /block/sda
and there are also the commands
sdparm -a /dev/sda
which is also a way to query the SCSI hard disk device for maker model and a lot of other information.