Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Back in 2008 I purchased my dell computer from best buy but

Customer Question

back in 2008 I purchased my dell computer from best buy but I am really not that computer savvy. anyway, I thought that by putting my photos on an sd card that they would be safe indefinitely. however, I found out yesterday that they only will last up to about 5 years on the sd card. I would like to find out how I can put all my family photos from my sd card and burn them to a dvd. I tried to but it would only print out the first picture. can you help me, please.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
DVD's also ave a life span of about 5 years and are easy to scratch, so I would like to advise you on a proper solution as opposed to this.
The proper solution these days is to use an online backup service to save your photos to. These are managed by companies whose sole business is to protect and ensure the availability of your files. The best solution is dropbox, and its free for 2GB. If you go to www.dropbox.com then click on the link download in the top right and download and install the software.
When installing it you will create an account, which is yours and is secured with a password.
Once made, you will see a new folder on your computer called Dropbox.
You can use this like any folder on your computer and copy your photos to this. They will then be backed up and you never have to worry about losing them again. It is the only real way to ensure you do not lose your photos as SD cards, DVD's and even external drives have a limited life span.
If you are really against this, I would be more then happy to help you with the DVD issue, but you really are swapping one bad backup format for another.
I can also do these steps for you for dropbox, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you