Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My wife and I have been going back and forth about this for

Customer Question

my wife and I have been going back and forth about this for two weeks now... I still think she watches too many tv shows but after what happened today I'm starting to wonder myself. How realistic is it to believe that your personal online accounts and phone conversations might be monitored by someone? I know, I feel crazy just asking it. But... The person that could be doing it really does have unlimited resources and he loves spy stories, if it's possible I wouldn't put it passed him. Two weeks ago we came home to the man in our house. We hadn't seen or heard from him in over a year, he seemed startled when we walked in and ended up saying that he happened to be in the neighborhood and the door was unlocked so he came on in. He left after 5 minutes. We don't leave the doors unlocked. I checked the video from a baby monitor and saw the guy messing with our wireless router and my cell phone. I found my iPhone in a drawer behind the bar, right next to where he was when we walked in. Ever since then, some strange things have happened... Emails seem to have almost stopped (probably getting 1/10th of what we used to get), some people claim that they never receive our emails even though they show up in the sent folder. A "computer use may be monitored" warning pops up on some websites that we visit, we are even unable to receive pins on our Pinterest account... It's really strange. This must just be coincidence right?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
It is possible, it all depends on the expertise of the person. The iPhone is very hard to do though, but we can know quickly if its been hacked.
Do you see a Cydia app on the iPhone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then they are not listening in on your phone calls unless they are working at the NSA.
The computer is another story. Do you receive emails from this person or has he had access to your computers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear us about expertise... If it would have been anyone else besides this guy I would have wrote it off by now, he's a very successful businessman and his full time "risk manager" is an ex "IT" pro
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, did you see my last message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He once told me that he had some friends that he used to call about doing background checks on potential employees... That's all I know but he's able to get a lot of information about people without them finding out
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok... again though, did you see my message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I wrote those last messages one after the other... Yes, he had access to my office iMac... A baby monitor in another room recorded him going in there for about 10-15 minutes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, as its a iMac, it is a lot easier to stop then on a windows computer.
Open Finder, then go to Applications.
Drag any application that you do not recall installed, to the Trash and this will then stop any further access he may have to the computer