Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

My computer stop working after a restart with updates. It can

Customer Question

My computer stop working after a restart with updates. It can only shutdown by holding down the power button. when I try to power it on it says that it was not a normal shutdown. It then locks up Home does not work and there is no cursor.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I advise you to go to the Safe Mode bootup screen, first of all, by pressing the F8 key on your keyboard over and over once a second, until the (black-and-white, text-only with a highlight bar) Safe Mode selection screen appears.
See if selecting 'System Restore' there, or 'restore your system to a previous state' helps with the problem.
Let me know how it goes, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used pc refresh and then everything worked. I then did a restart with 151 updates. After the updates nothing worked and no cursor.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
What PC Refresh are you talking about, please?
I suspect that you should redo that with System Restore instead, and avoid all the updates, and then if you get even Safe Mode bootup - or if you can get Safe Mode bootup at first - try doing a Disk Check, and see if your disk system has any severe errors.
If avoiding the 151 updates means changing Automatic Updates settings in Control Panel, and disabling it for the meanwhile, so be it.