Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Dell Inspiron 3531 running Windows 8.1 with all the

Customer Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 3531 running Windows 8.1 with all the latest updates, and I have recently sucessfully installed Silverline.
Just recently I began free trial versions of Hulu+, Netflix, and Sling TV by adding those downloads to this machine and none of them will play straight from the app.
For Sling TV error message reads "Sorry, we are unable to authorize playback,error 4.
For Hulu+ error message is pb4-88890001
For Netflix rror is w8156-88890001.
So my question is whether this machine is capable of playing these three programs, and if not what would I need in a replacement Windows machine?
If the machine is capable, what are the error codes tellin me about the problem. In particular, what do the last eight digits,'88890001', mean in in Hula and Netflix error codes?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.
that seems to be an issue with the protected audio not being allowed to play
this is the fix from a microsoft website
Try changing this registry (Win + R: type in regedit to get to the registry editor
go to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio] "DisableProtectedAudioDG"=dword:00000001
If it is set to "1",
set it to "0"
if the key does not exist you have to add it with a 0 value
If you are not comfortable editing the registry i can log in remotely to do it for you but there is an additional charge. Or i can look to see if there is an easier way to do it.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
There is another possible cause.
if you are not logged into your microsoft account the silverlight wont work under windows 8
usually windows 8 requires you to use a microsoft email address as your login ID. Its possible to get around this but they recommend it. If you did get around it and are using a local ID a bunch of microsoft services such as silverlight will not work and will cause that error.
you can either change your windows id to a microsoft email login or you can try just logging into your microsoft account at www.live.com and checking the box to keep you logged in
then try playing the netflix or hulu