Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Cpu led red, warning notification 12v running at 9.3v system

Customer Question

cpu led red, warning notification 12v running at 9.3v system shuts down. Power supply of cpu? other?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. Can you give me more detailed specs of the CPU, Motherboard and power supply? Is this a custom build machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cpu amd phenom 64 bit, Asus m5 a99x evo, 500w. custom. 5yrs old
Ok bare with me while I research the motherboard and the code it's giving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Can you also tell me if your fans are running when the machine is turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all running
You have also removed and reseated your computer memory RAM Cards as well. If you have multiple card try one at a time to make sure the memory is not causing this problem. Have you done this yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet, should I do this now, (4 cards)
I would do so yes, Also there is the slim chance the power supply may not be supplying power to the CPU. Have you had the power supply checked yet. Also do you have the type of power supply where it has more than one 4 pin connector for the cpu by chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 pin connection to cpu, 2x 4 pin
If the memory tests have the same result more than likely the memory is not the culprit. I doubt it's the CPU because it can take a lot to damage the CPU. You are looking at if the memory test shows no different signs you would either be looking at a malfunctioning power supply not delivering enough or no power to the cpu or the motherboard itself is malfunctioning i'm afraid. You can always take the CPU to a local computer store to have it tested at no charge. However if the power supply checks out you will know the answer to the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
You are welcome. I would usually say to change the CPU however again it's very rare. If you were having problems with freezing and the machine getting hot and just shutting off all the time I would say yes it was the CPU. Again I doubt that. Please don't forget to leave feedback it's how I am compensated for my time and information. Let me know if you have any further questions.