Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Lenovo laptop with Win 7 has the red light lit but when I try

Customer Question

Lenovo laptop with Win 7 has the red light lit but when I try to power up no other lights light, nor does it power up. I have tried unplugging, taking battery out, tapping the power up button 10 times, then holding 30 sec and putting battery back in and power cord but it doesn't do anything. It was working fine until I took a uninstalled a program. No green lights--only the red one. Took the Ram out and put it back in--didn't work.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry you have encountered this kind of problem. I am doubting a program caused this problem but this may have happened at the same time at a bad coincidence. Have you tried powering it on without the battery and only the power cord plugged in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I tried several things. I took out the battery, unplugged the cord, tapped the start 10 times, held the power button down for 30 sec, put the battery back in, put in power cord, --nothing happened except the red light comes on on the front. The power cord has a green light lit.---I also took out the ram and put it back in. It just won't power up and it was working fine always and even a couple seconds before this happened.
I am sorry this has happened however if reseating the memory did not work try this remove the memory completely and this time leave it out and then turn the computer on and tell me if you get the same symptom the red light. If you get any beeps let me know. We are testing the motherboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I took the ram out, I had no red light and could not get it back on. I then took the ram out and tried to power up and I got a blink of a red light and then it went blank. I have lost my red light. Does that mean my power cord is bad eventhough it shows green when plugged in (on the power pack)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just let it sit for a second (the ram is not in) and it has its battery in and it is plugged in. I pushed the power button and AGAIN the red light came on for a second (blink) and went out. No red light no green light no power.
I see, so no beeps either,I'm sorry to say it's looking like a motherboard malfunction. How long have you had this machine?
If you havn't had this machine for more than two years more than likely it's under manufacturer warranty If not you would need to have the machines motherboard replaced. If you think you can do this yourself I can locate the motherboard for you and possibly show you a video on how to do this. If not let me know. Please don't forget to leave positive feedback for my time and information it's how I am compensated. If you have more to add or need more information please tell me I will be more than happy to help further.