Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I'm getting the psmain stack back trace error 0x5001579 on my Laptop. I was able to

Customer Question

I'm getting the psmain stack back trace error 0x5001579 on my Laptop. I was able to do multiple reboots Friday, and got around it but tonight I'm not having as much luck tonight. When I do the alt+on+F10 taps, I get a scrn with 3 tabs 'file', 'security' and 'system configuration'. I've run all the 'system diagnostics' from 'file' tab, and they passed....but went right back to blue screen when I exited.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
are you able to boot into safe mode ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to on Friday but haven't been able to get to that scrn today. Not really sure how I got there Friday either. I'd all but given up and had just let the computer sit (off) for about 45 minutes....then magically got the scrn to select safe mode when I turned it on again. I haven't had that happen tonight.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i have looked up the error and it comes from a problem with the pointsec encryption on your drive.
about the only easy solution i could find is that it sometimes has problems with usb devices attached to the computer. so try removing any usb device that you dont absolutely need and see if it will boot up
other than that you can look at some of these posts about decrypting the disk and removing the pointsec but they get very technical
http://bytes.com/topic/windows/answers/608049-stack-error-error-code-0x50012b8-pointsec-database-corrupt-psmain
http://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2009/09/11/decrypting-a-pointsec-encrypted-drive-using-live-view-vmware-and-helix
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed my blackberry charger. Now the only thing connected is my monitor. Still getting same error. :-(

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
dang the blackberry was one of the things that they said could do it
you want to try removing the battery and letting it sit for a bit
let it get a clean fresh start without the blackberry on it and cross your fingers and hope a lot. :)
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i found a page where you can download the tool that is supposed to fix it if your problem is a corrupt pointsec database which causes that error.
http://helpdesk.futurerange.ie/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/4/0/checkpoint-ps-main
it has some instructions but if you cant follow them you need to get ahold of the person that put the pointsec on because i wouldnt know the answers to things like database name if you need it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well....no change after letting it sit without the battery. As for the point sec download.....that's going to be pretty hard to do, since I can't even get the computer to a windows scrn. Also....before submitting my inquiry, I saw someone else on this sight had also gone though the whole point sec thing. . . While another expert said the error was caused by a Cisco Checkpoint program. I don't think either requester ever worked through to resolution though. If they did, it wasn't part of the exchanges I was able to view from Google search.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Pointsec is written by checkpoint which is owned by Cisco
And yes it looks to be a royal pain once that has an issue. I don't really know why anyone encrypts drives and files outside of the CIA. It isn't just a password ***** can get around. It changes every byte on the drive and there is no way to recover any of it even if you just lose the password. If the program doing the encryption screws up you have a nightmare. The only thing that might work is a utility from the encryption company
I really don't know what else to say. The utility on the post above is your best chance and no its not easy. Its designed for a large company with an IT department that works with the stuff all the time