Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

I have Windows 8 Professional keyboard is locked mouse works

Customer Question

I have Windows 8 Professional keyboard is locked mouse works what's up?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. What kind of keyboard is it? Is this a desktop or a laptop computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP ProBook laptop
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you test an external keyboard? What model probook is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I cannot test an external keyboard.I don't know how to tell what model it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pro windows 8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HSTNN-C82C ?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Why can't you test an external one? The model number should be listed somewhere on the laptop itself. What you just gave me now is the version of windows it came with.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where am I going to get an external one?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If you have a desktop you can use it from there, if you know anyone with a desktop you could borrow theirs for 5 minutes, etc. I still need the model number as well though. It should be somewhere on the machine.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP ProBook 450 G 2?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That's it thank you. There are no keyboard updates for that model. There is a BIOS update which could help but not always. How old is the machine? If over a year old did you get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months old
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok good that means you are still under warranty. Please try updating the BIOS you can get the update from here:
http://tinyurl.com/mfw5tfo
If the same thing happens it normally means the keyboard has failed and needs to be replaced. Since you are still under warranty call: 1-***-***-****
Tell them that you did a system restore, tried updating the BIOS and that the keyboard is not responding. They may ask you to pull the battery and test it again without it. After this normally it will be fixed under the warranty.
If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how my supposed to update the BIOS if I can't type on keyboard?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You can download it from the link I gave you and put it on a flash drive/usb drive, burn it to a cd, anything like that. Then run the file on the laptop.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed it by removing the battery and reinstalling it
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
As I mentioned in my previous answer that could be asked of you as well as the battery can cause this, but it is a temporary fix. The problem will come back as it is common on the ProBooks. Download the BIOS update and it should help though. Then if it comes back even after that call the number I sent you. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
.