DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

I have an an Inspiron with vista, I believe it is a 535/537.

Customer Question

I have an an Inspiron with vista, I believe it is a 535/537. the service tag is 7SM5FK1. I want to reinstall vista so that I can reset my password ***** I cannot remember . Is my machine 32 or 64 bit.
I no longer have the operating disc.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I'm Bruce, nickname "DrKlahn."
You have two options and both of them are possible.
a) Reset the password
b) Reload Windows
You can have the Windows password ***** at a locally owned computer shop and the usual charge is $25 to $35. If the system is otherwise operational this may be preferable to reloading Windows as it will save a lot of time and effort reloading software.
Using the Dell service tag to look up your system's original configuration on the Dell web site, the information is confusing and it shows both XP and Vista. However, the CPU in the system is an E5300. This is a dual-core CPU and it is described as a 64-bit CPU (see the link below). Therefore I suggest installing 64-bit Vista; but see below.
http://ark.intel.com/products/35300/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E5300-2M-Cache-2_60-GHz-800-MHz-FSB
Before reinstalling Vista, check the Microsoft Certficate of Authenticity (COA) sticker on the machine to confirm that you have the 25-character Vista authorization code. The COA may reveal whether the system was originally supplied with 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. If you do not have the Vista COA, there will be problems reinstalling Vista since you won't have an activation key and you'll need to purchase one.
Don't hesitate to ask for further information if anything is unclear.