Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

My dell Inspiron 23

Customer Question

my dell Inspiron 23 is not seeing my second monitor (connected via hdmi)
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
My name is James
Welcome to JustAnswer.
Can i Remote onto your machine to help you fix the problem
Remote means I can connect to your Machine and fix the issue for you its fully secure and Built into the Justanswer System
If you wish I can send you a Link to Connect
Let me know
Cheers James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can do the link to connect, join me or log me rescue
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=46ca0f1b-2e2e-4cea-93f0-0952afb1b9f0
Click the Link above a page will open
Click the Green I agree at the bottom
Click run/ok/yes if asked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the type of service that gets high ratings? really?
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
If your not willing to remove the device driver not much we can do ,
Ive offered you a refund without problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked you two questions, you were rude, refused to answer my questions - definitely do not understand how you have 5 ratings with your attitude. As a customer, I have the right to ask questions pertaining to any merchandise or steps you take to repair my property. As am employee, I cannot have a supposed "tech support specialist" just uninstall important programs on our system just because you say so. I am shocked at how unprofessional you acted and I have no idea how you have the ratings you have if you've treated other customers the way you've treated me.
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
5000 ratings i have over the seven years i have been here
Also i do remote support all day ( which we charge extra for ) which i did not charge you any extra so i need to move at pace ,
its not a program its a driver , and its most probely the issue , if not you just roll back to before , no issue
However as you don't wish to that let me close this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already called Customer Support and they are to get me another "expert"
Hopefully one that understands that a customer has the right to ask a question and answer it especially if they wish to remove work related programs that I, myself, am not even allowed to remove. So you should not be able to close my question.I sincerely ***** ***** treat your other customers better than you did me. Having enough customers complain could result in loss of business which I am sure your bosses would not appreciate.I am in the customer service industry too. When a client wants to ask me something, it is my job, to answer his or her questions so they are confident in what I am about to do will fix their problems. Most of my clients do not just give me free reign, they like to know what steps I am taking and what I am doing to fix their problems. If you cannot understand this, you are in the wrong industry.
Again, if you treat all your customers like you did me, I am baffled at how you have 5 star ratings unless they give you five star ratings for being quick to say "cannot help you" and quick to refund their money?????
While I appreciate the fact you remote logged in free of charge while usually charging, I did not ask you to do so. I also do not think it is a major issue to ask a question (and I did ask nicely the first time) why you need to remove a driver, why is it the problem when it has never been a problem in 5 years?
Perhaps you just do not understand that customers have the right to know what you are doing? Who knows.....thank you for your time but I am waiting on another expert
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
no problem
you will get an email when they reply
please dont reply as the system will make me respond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been 6 days and I haven't had anyone respond
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.
I can look at it if you want me to.
however it might be necessary to re install the driver for the video card
I would not ask you to remove any work related software. I don't even want to see anything confidential. I just want to get your computer working. I have no idea what the last expert did but if the driver for the video card is considered "work related" you would have to have your own IT department look at it. Assuming that is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wanted to uninstall something for logmein but thats work related and I am unable to do that
When I've plugged it in, the second monitor goes all black and doesn't show that little pop up that floats saying its not connected but when I try to get my first monitor to recognize the second one, it doesn't even see it.
My first monitor is the all in one Dell Inspiron 23
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
when you hit the windows logo and P
you should get a selection of what to do with the second screen
does that show up for you ?
I have given you an offer to log in remotely if you want to accept it.
I don't think I would have to get rid of the logmein I have seen that work with dual monitors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I tried that but it only shows one monitor
I'm hesitant to pay more money when the "guarantees" haven't even been met yet. I wasn't happy with the previous expert, the customer service rep. said I'd have another answer in 24 hours and it's been six days.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i have no idea what happened with that but it must be a site issue because your question was not released to other experts until today
i can understand your being unhappy
perhaps you would prefer a refund or i can opt out and put it back in the pool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So unless I pay more, you're unable to assist me?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
i can try
what make and model monitor is it and what type of cable do you have
have you got the monitor set to hdmi input ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unsure if you're asking about my main or second monitor....
Main Monitor - Dell All In One Inspiron 23, Model 5348 Series (The second picture shows the back of this monitor)
Second Monitor (currently trying to add) - Dell Model SE198WFP (The first picture shows the back of this monitor)I have two adapters I've tried using so far:
One adapter is the VGA to hdmi
The second is VGA to USB
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
that monitor is not hdmi
why are you not using a simple vga to vga cable ?
this is what i found in the specs for that monitor
Connectivity
Digital Visual Interface - Digital (DVI-D) with High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)
Video Graphics Array (VGA)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you look, theres no VGA on the first Dell. Only on the second. The first monitor only has USB and HDMI. An employee had a similar situation and we used the same thing (USB to VGA) and hers worked fine. When I tried this with mine and it did not work, I contacted Dell and asked for a solution and they said if the VGA to USB did not work, to use VGA to HDMI - which is still not working.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
is this the monitor ?
because it shows no hdmi connection on that monitor only vga and dvi-d
http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-se198wfp/pd
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
oh ok i got it now. the computer doesnt have an external vga and the monitor hasnt got hdmi
the usb to vga should have come with an install cd
did you run that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it did not, it just had the connection cables.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
That might be the problem.
Did the computer show new hardware being installed when you plugged it in? Did it say it was successful?
Can you check in the device manager and see if it shows up there and if so does it or anything else have a red or yellow mark on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I checked with both the VGA to USB and VGA to HDMI
The HDMI one never even came up to install the driver and nothing came up for the monitor. The monitor itself says, "Analog input Self Test Feature Check"
The USB however, did come up with a driver but it was "unspecified". I attempted to click "Troubleshoot" and it said it needed to download the driver. So I clicked "Continue" but it gave me an error, "Does not have a driver".
I attached pictures for both.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
try this driver
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7MCVG
it is for the monitor i dont know if it will work off the usb
you may want to ask the person that got it working what cable he used
they have simple cables that cost 5 bucks usb to vga and they have cables that cost 40 bucks and do some sort of conversion and come with a driver. You might need the expensive one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable I got was $30 and my IT guy is actually over seas, he joined the Army. He will not return for at least a year.
I downloaded the link you gave me, unzipped the files but did not see anything to actually run or install. So I tried the USB and HDMI. The HDMI situation did not change. The USB was still unspecified and when I troubleshoot, it's the same issue - could not find driver