Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

One day the Epson worked fine to scan docs to my Surface Pro3.

Customer Question

One day the Epson worked fine to scan docs to my Surface Pro3. The next day all appears normal but unable to pull up the scan screen.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That problem might be caused by your Epson machine; it might be a fault in your computer. Please tell me what your Epson device's model # ***** Please also tell me about your computer:What is your computer, a Windows PC or an Apple computer?Which version of Windows (or MAC OS X ) is on it?(If a Windows PC, what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found inStart - Control Panel - System and Security - System .) Also, please try doing a photocopy of a one-page original on your Epson device - if it is a model with photocopying capability. Let me know the results, please, as well as the above information. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surface Pro3
Epson GT-s550
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
On your Surface tablet, please determine:
what is its System Type? either 32-bit or 64-bit, and found in
Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System .
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
64
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.Assuming it has Windows 8.1 on it: First, disconnect the scanner, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)So: turn off, unplug, unplug your scanner.Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Canon scanner and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your Canon scanner.Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.Then, go tohttp://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=114307&infoType=Downloadsand click once on the 'Operating System' control (somewhat lower down on the page), and selectWindows 8.1 64-bit (or doubtfully Windows 8 64-bit)and then download the proper driver for your printer... probably theScanner Driver and Epson SCAN Utility...click on Download, when prompted choose Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the driver installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good advice but still not working. Maybe I have messed up my settings. I will try again later. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Doing that uninstall, restart, and reinstall, ought to clear out all and any defective settings. Unless you mean settings on the scanner device itself, not on the computer ? But I don't think that caused the cessagion of function - unless you changed the settings just before the cessation of function. So, I suggest a hard reset, or 'rest reset' of your scanner device:- unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly, while it is On.- leave it that way 2+ hours, or overnight,- plug in again after that interval. Turn it On if necessary. See if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will try that tomorrow and leave it off for several hours. Tonight, it's red wine.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Sounds good. Let me know what happens, at your convenience.