Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have an acer laptop with windows 7. My nephew removed the

Customer Question

I have an acer laptop with windows 7. My nephew removed the microsoft word program off of it. Is there any way I can retrieve it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charles. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Please try this check to see if the program is truly gone. Hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R. The Run box will open. In the text area type:winword.exe and click OK. If the program is still installed, Microsoft Word will open.
-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope, it is gone

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. One more check. Open Control Panel>>Programs and Features. Scroll down the list of programs and check if there is an entry for Microsoft Office with a version number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Microsoft.Net Framework 4, 5.1

Microsoft Silverlight

Microsoft visual 3++2008 Redistributable x64 9.0 30729.17

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Do you recall how the software was originally installed. Was it from a disk or was it downloaded from the Microsoft Store?
Or was it just on the machine when you got it and you activated (paid for) it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was on the machine when I purchased it, I believe. I ordered the laptop on line.

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
If that's the case then the only way to get the software back (other than to purchase it) would be to do a factory restore of the laptop. This would reset the laptop back to the way it was when new. It would re-install Windows and all the software that originally came with the laptop. You would need to back up all your data files first and after the restore was complete you would need to re-install any programs that you have added since you purchased the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I received my computer, my nephew added whatever software came with it. I don't know why, but I had software issues later, and he has an associate degree in computers. He had worked on it and he took it off and installled Libra office. So I am not sure whether it was installed by the factory, or it had to be downloaded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would I be able to find out where I purchased my computer, to see if it was factory installed microsoft office

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
What is the full model number of the laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was manufactured in 11/08. I found the microsoft 7 home prem oa on the bottom. product key for this is

VQJDD-4TMH4-XPWDD-Y24K7

CKJ7G X16-96072

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Here's how to determine the model number. Click Start and type in: msinfo32
and open the msinfo32.exe search result at the top. When the System Information page loads look on the right hand side for System Model. The information there will contain the model number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Aspire 5552-7474

Mfg. date 11/08

s/n LXR440226313126D171601

SNIS *********** /p>

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Let me see what I can find out.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles. Your laptop did come with a trial version of Microsoft Office 2010 (which includes Word). If you've been using it all this time it means that at some point you activated (paid for) the product. If you reset the laptop to factory you would need to reactivate the product. Unless you happen to have a copy of the Microsoft Office product key, either written down somewhere or stored in an email, you will need to activate it over the phone following these instructions: http://tinyurl.com/Acer-Office-Activation
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.

Charles. After a little digging I've learned there may be another solution to this. On your laptop can you open the Acer recovery utility?
-
Click on Start, All Programs, Acer, Acer eRecovery Management.
-
Your machine came with this when new. It should still be there unless your nephew or someone else removed it.

If it is there and the program opens select Restore from the vertical menu on the left.

Then choose Reinstall Drivers or Applications and check to see if you have the option to reinstall Word/Office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I typed in Acer with no results

Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Click Start
click All Programs
scroll down and look
for the Acer folder