Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

There,I have a catalogue that I have designed in inDesign

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a catalogue that I have designed in inDesign as a print file, that now needs to be saved down to a low res pdf for the retail website. This pdf cannot be blurry, it has to be clear and sharp looking but still small. How do I make this happen? I am currently using inDesign 6.0 and have acrobat distiller 6. Can you help me as my client wants this asap.
Thanks Ann-maree
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. In general the PDF files should not be too large for a website as they are. However, if you do need to make them smaller, when you save them in Acrobat or in design you can save them as and "optimized" PDF. This will take out all the necessary information in the PDF like metadata that the website won't be using and it will also pack the file more tightly and compress images. The only way to tell how that's going to look though is through trial and error. I would generally leave them uncompressed and then let the website take care of scaling them because it will scale them to the size that's appropriate for the browser window and the screen size on the client side. I prefer to have high resolution images because whatever you have handling those images on the website will create smaller versions of those files if it needs to and assuming the framework you're using is efficient. There are many things that will happen behind the scenes to a full-size PDF for full-size images that will make them more efficient when delivered to the end-user, usually without you having to do anything in between. But I'm assuming they're asking for a reason so you can do this in touch each file saving it as an optimized PDF, or you can use things like Google page speed that will reformat images appropriately along with many other files. In fact that's not just a solution for this but a bigger solution that will or could greatly improve their page serving performance if that's the issue. So, the short answer to this would be to simply optimize the PDF files when you save them but the long answer and the bigger picture would be something like Google page speed on the server to handle all documents in all serving including Java and CGI in a much more efficient manner. I don't know if you're tasked with that but if you are I can talk with you about that as well.