Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I purchased a used computer with no windows. I inserted two

Customer Question

I purchased a used computer with no windows. I inserted two of my hard drives, enabled port A and port B in BIOS set up page and turned on the computer. It says port A device not found, port B device not found. Please advise
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
what type of computer is it and what do you mean by port ?are you using sata or ide drives ? do they show up in the drive section ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell T410's service tag is 2TPJ1L1, The ports for hds, cd drives etc. that you can see in BIOS set up page. Sata, when I try to restore hd using clonezilla, the hds were shown on clonezilla page. what's drive section?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned off the computer and took out the hds and re inserted to make sure they are in. when I do that, the power cable was connected to a power outlet but the computer was off. then it won't damage the hds right?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
better to totally power down the computer but it usually doesnt hurt them if you plug them in when the computer is plugged in but not on. are you sure that the drives are in the ports that you think they are in. enable all the ports in the bios and see which ones show the drives there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I enabled all the ports in the bios but only the F port is connected with CD driver but all the others says. port A device not found, port B device not found, port C device not found and so on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
check the physical connections on the drives. make sure they are connected to both the drives and the motherboard. there should be one data connector and one power connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to restore clone using conezila, the drivers shows so I can restore it to that driver. this means, the driver is connected right?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
I would think so. Have you tried it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, but error massage shows so suspected because of port enabling issue so asked you for help to fix
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you read or write anything to that drive not the clonezilla