Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance

I have an Asus X55A under 1 year old. I have a recurring black

I have an Asus X55A under 1 year old. I have a recurring black screen problem, with no cursor, no response to any keys. The first time it happened I switched off the external power, removed the battery, and held down the off button for about 1 min. On re-powering the Asus booted up OK, and worked for an hour or so, then crashed to black screen again. Left overnight in closed position it worked the following morning and was OK all day. The following morning...black screen again. Left for an hour or so it again worked for a short time, then went to black screen. The vendor says I should do a factory re-set (not possible when in black screen mode) I am reluctant to do this as I had great difficulty in setting up Wi-Fi, Thunderbird etc as we unfortunately have the ****windows8, now ?upgraded? to 8.1 Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX (Tauranga NZ) XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope. In almost every case like this, the problem is related to the mother board of the laptop, it can be caused due to defective graphics card or chip on the mother board, corrupt BIOS, defective main chipset and sometimes due to the processor due to over heating. If you are still use your laptop for a while, that means the processor is still working and if the problem is caused due to processor over heating, it will burn after few days, if you do not take any action to solve the problem.

Now, any of the fault described above requires physical intervention, which means you have to completely disassembled the laptop and check the mother board and processor, but if you do that, your laptop's warranty will be void and Asus will not replace or repair the laptop free of cost.

Please reply me back, if you still need any assistance on this issue, otherwise please remember to give positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance