Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience

I have a gateway desktop, and the fan on the tower gets noisey

I have a gateway desktop, and the fan on the tower gets noisey after I have input into the internet. I have check that no dust is getting into the fan area, and vaccuumed around the tower which sets on the floor. The computer is about ten years old. But still funches well. Question what is causing this problem is it circutrie or mechanical ?

address:[email protected]
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Almost certainly the problem with your cooling fan is the common one (after 10 years of usage, after all) of drying bearings in the fan's spin axle.

The noise it makes seems louder when you have gotten onto the internet, probably because you are more distractable then, and also probably because, by then, the fan has warmed up.

If it is the fan in the power supply box, that is most simply fixed by replacing the power suppy. If it is an accessory cooling fan mounted by itself upon the case of the tower/CPU box, then it is easily replaced for about $10 - Radio Shack (and other vendors) sells this sort of cooling fan.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. (Unless you have any point about your question that still needs clearing up.) Thanks.