Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

A disk read error occurred How do I fix that the computer will

A disk read error occurred How do I fix that the computer will not boot
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Dan :

Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. What exactly does the error say?

Customer:

A disk read error occurred Press cntrl+alt+del to restart

Dan :

What type of computer is it?

Customer:

Acer aspire

Dan :

Do you have a CD in the drive or a flash drive plugged in? If so remove them and try to reboot.

Customer:

no flash drive no disk nothing again

Dan :

Did your computer exhibit any other problems prior to this?

Customer:

no nothing. I saw it happen a child set a plastic toy across all the keys and when she left we had this problem

Dan :

Was the computer on at the time?

Customer:

yes and there was a childs video in the dvd

Dan :

Try this. Unplug the power and remove the battery; then press and hold the power button for about one minute. Insert the battery and re-apply power and see if it will start.

Customer:

failed

Dan :

Does it look like any of keys on the keyboard are stuck?

Customer:

no

Customer:

most of them beep when I push them

Dan :

Sounds like something may be stuck if they are beeping. Do they all appear to operate okay other than the beep?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I can get to the secure core setup

Dan :

Try restarting and as soon as the computer begins to power up, start tapping the F8 key about once per second and lets see if we can get into safe mode.

Customer:

cant get that

Dan :

Does the same thing happen?

Customer:

yes

Dan :

The DVD that was playing at the time, have you tried playing it in another computer?

Customer:

not in a computer but in a dvd player

Dan :

Well I am at a loss. I can't think of anything that could happen to the main boot drive by setting something on the keyboard short of some type of physical damage. If you like I can release the question for another expert to look at.

Customer:

I think it may be damaged I might take it somewhere

Dan :

How old is it?

Customer:

1to 2 yrs old

Customer:

bought jan 2012

Dan :

Okay, well it might still be under warranty. Have you checked into that?

Customer:

yes it is not.

Dan :

Wow! They don't even give you a year anymore?

Customer:

jan 2012 more than a year but there may be a credit card something shes not sure

Customer:

ok we can finish this up./ what is the chrge

Dan :

Oops!! I guess my math was off just a bit. :-) One thing to keep in mind is that most service shops will charge a diagnostic fee whether you fix it or not. The rule of thumb is to never pay more than %50 for repairs of what you originally paid when it was new. Your payment has already been charged to your card so no further payment will be necessary.

Dan, Network Administrator
Experience: 25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.