Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

We have the free AOL service. How do I block one email address

We have the free AOL service. How do I block one email address from coming to us at all?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Hello.

Michelle :

To block unwanted spam, your Spam filter must be turned on. Once it's turned on, you can adjust your Spam filter settings to block or allow mail.

Note: Your Spam filter is turned on by default.

To adjust your spam settings:

1. In the upper right, below your Username, click Options and then click Settings.

2. In the left panel, click Spam Settings

3. To the right of 'Spam Filter', click the drop-down menu and select a level for your Spam filter (Off, Low, Medium, High).

Note: The recommended setting for your Spam Filter is Medium, but if you find that spam is still finding its way into your inbox, you can increase the setting to 'High'. Keep in mind the 'High' setting may confuse regular email for spam and deliver non-spam emails to your Spam folder.

4. If you want to block or allow messages from a particular person, you'd use the 'Sender Filter' section. Click the drop-down menu and select an option.

Note: The default setting is Allow mail from all senders. You can go as far as Block mail from all senders, though it is a bit drastic. If you select Allow mail from addresses I specify you can specify specific email addresses you want to receive email from. Any addresses you have not specified will be blocked.

5. Once you've selected an option from the 'Sender Filter' drop-down menu, in the text below, enter the username or email address of the person you'd like to filter and then click the + button to the right.

6. In the Content Filter section, you can choose to block messages containing pictures or specific words or phrases.

Note: If you select Block mail containing pictures or files it will affect your ability to send and receive attachments.

7. In the Blocked Mail section, you can choose to 'Permanently delete blocked mail' or 'Deliver blocked mail to the Spam folder'.

Note: It's recommended to select 'Deliver blocked mail to the Spam folder' just in case a non-spam email gets blocked, you'll still be able to go into your Spam folder and retrieve the message.

8. At the bottom of the page, click Save to keep your changes.

All done! You may still get spam in your inbox from time to time, but marking email as spam will help your spam filter identify mail as spam. To learn how to mark a message as spam, please visit our help article How do I mark an email as Spam in AOL Mail?

Michelle :

Please dont rate the answer till you are fully satisfied with my answer.

Michelle :

ask me as many questions you have on the chat session, you will not be charged more as you have already paid for this service.

Customer:

Please, how do I print your response?

Michelle :

open your email

Michelle :

then open justanswer email

Michelle :

you can print from your email.

Michelle :

as i will switch this chat to question answer mode.

Customer:

Please, is it possible in AOL to block a specific email address (the one that I am trying to block now)?

Michelle :

yes it is possible and i have given all the steps on this chat and it wil be thee in your email as well.

Michelle :

please ask if you have any more question for me.

Customer:

OK, I see in your instruction #5 above that I can enter a specific email address. Will this block the particular address that I am trying to block?

Michelle :

yes it will block the particular email address you want to block.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my effort, service and information you got, please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below to complete the rating. If you have any question or need more help please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors