Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Lenovo y510P and my laptop will not go in hibernate

I have a Lenovo y510P and my laptop will not go in hibernate mode or shutdown. The performance tools say that a program is interfering with Windows. The program is Microsoft Office Document Cache. I am not sure how to resolve this but it seems like a big problem because I believe it is also preventing me from upgrading to Windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

I would first like to make sure there is no corruption either in the registry or the hard disk that can cause this.

Do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Press the windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than tell me if it now shuts down correctly please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you! I have followed your instructions and my laptop is now 27% complete through the chkdsk process. Although it has been on 27% for maybe an hour and a half, maybe longer. I am not sure if that b it's normal but I'm fairly certain I should not turn off the computer during the process. If you can let me know any other useful informantion that that would be great. Thanks again!

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
ok, it can take a few hours, it depends on the amount of issues on the laptop.

Give it another hour and if it is still frozen, let me know please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay will do. It is a rather new laptop and so there isn't a ton of data on the hard drive. Also, one thing I am concern about is that the Connor overheated. I am thinking it might be possible that the laptop was left on while in it's enclosed case although it didn't appear as if the hardware was damage in some of the bbasic utility tools in windows. Could that have damaged the hard disk? Also, there are 2 hard drives

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
It could have, overheating is the worst thing to happen to a laptop, and if the checkdisk is freezing, then this would be the most likely reason.

Is it still under warranty Dan, as if it is new, you should not already be having these problems.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will contact Lenovo and find out.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
If it is less then a year old Dan you do have a warranty, and already we cannot run a disk check, and you have this hibernation problem, I would really look into getting it replaced, you should not be having these problems so early on.

They will do a hardware diagnostics and replace the hard drive or faulting part when they see this, but this is the route I would take with such a new laptop.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will definitely do that. If the chkdsk stays frozen what do you recommend?

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Hold the power down till it turns off, then turn it on again Dan.

This would get it started.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Well it appears to have finished the chkdsk although it still won't shut down...

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Its the hard disk Dan that is the issue.

I advise to return the Lenovo as we discussed as the chkdsk should not have taken this long.