Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

i accidentally deleted a line in the registry that now prevents

i accidentally deleted a line in the registry that now prevents me from signing into windows 8 as administrator or any other profile. is this a job for an expert? My original problem occurred after a power interruption during a windows 8.1 upgrade and I was forced into a Temp user file and not my usual user file.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you.

What error do you now get when you try to sign in?

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

user profile failed the sign in

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, normally the system restore would resolve this, but I see you indicate there are no restore points.

Can you get to the Advanced Menu again, then choose Troubleshoot.

Then Advance Options.

Then Command Prompt.

Type in

sfc /scannow

press enter and let this complete. When it has, type in

chkdsk /r

press enter and it will indicate the Volume is locked and to run on restart.

Say YES (Y) and restart the computer.

Then tell me please if you can now log into your computer.

Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

the sfc/scannow resulted in cannot fix.

chkdsk/r says cannot run because volume is write protected

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, then your going to need to refresh the PC.

you do not lose your data, but you will need to install your programs again.

Go to the Advance Menu, and choose Refresh PC.

Let this complete and this will return Windows to new, so you can create a user account again and sign in with this.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i get there was a problem refreshing your pc no changes were made

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, then you will need to attempt a reset.

This initial problem is not caused by deleting a line in the registry, there is a more serious issue at hand.

Reset the PC, and tell me if it can complete this please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

will the reset delete all my files?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Yes, but we are out of options as both the repair and the refresh will not work for you Stephen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

is there any way to move the data on the c drive to my external drive

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Only if you remove the hard drive from the computer physically.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

hp probook 4530s

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
ok, you will need to remove the hard drive.

Then you would use this cable to connect it to another computers USB port

Click Me To Open

You can then copy the data from it, just like any external hard drive.

then you can run the reset to resolve this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I was considering a new computer anyway. Could I buy a new one and then remove the hard drive from the hp and recover the data i need

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Yes, but you still need the adapter cable.

You could then connect it to the new pc and copy the data to it, just like an external drive.

With the adapter, it makes the hard drive appears as an external USB hard drive, so that would work Stephen.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Based on what you've told me I will buy a new computer, and then have their techs (like Geek Squad) remove the drive from the hp and get an adapter cord to hook up to new pc. Any other tips?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
That covers it well Stephen, and is the best plan forward as you will get your data off the hard disk, plus you could just continue to use it as a spare external hard drive.

But that is the plan you should follow.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry