Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

A cooling fan is not functioning adequately what can I do?

Hunter Owens :

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today.

Hunter Owens :

Do you have a laptop or desktop computer?

Customer:

laptop

Hunter Owens :

Thanks. With a laptop computer, a powered cooling pad is going to be a great addition to help keep your laptop running cool. You place one under your laptop and it has built-in fans to help keep the laptop cool. For power, it simply plugs into your laptop's USB port. Here is an example of one. You can find a variety online or at most local electronics stores.

Customer:

OK so is that all you can tell me, why do you think this has happened, I have HP pavilion g series

Hunter Owens :

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Hunter Owens :

I'll add that laptop cooling pads are very common because due to the size constraints of laptop form factors, large fans aren't able to be implemented in they way they are in desktop computers. So, they can get very hot, very easily.

Hunter Owens :

Even if it's a brand new laptop, it's still going to have a small fan that won't keep the laptop very cool if you're using it for a lot.

Hunter Owens :

Also, if you haven't cleaned your laptop lately, taking a compressed air can to the cooling vents is a good way to help keep the fans running the best as they can.

Customer:

OK thanks I'll research cooling fans, my pop ups won't let me click on the link, what do they usually cost?

Hunter Owens :

Full Size Image

Hunter Owens :

I see that you're in Australia. They're typically around $20 in the U.S., so I would assume it would be roughly the same there.

Hunter Owens :

Also, cleaning the cooling vents with a compressed air can will help if you haven't already, but I would still recommend a cooling pad.

Customer:

Thanks