Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Hi, I have just updated my laptop to Windows 8.1 Prior to

I have just updated my laptop to Windows 8.1
Prior to this i had the laptop and two external monitors running
Now I can only get one monitor to work through a USB 3.0 External Video Adapter, the laptop display is not running as it should, brightness control doesn't work so screen is dull and difficult to look at.
I have tried the second external monitor in the VGA port and HDMI port with no luck.
When I had someone using Team Viewer to try and help, they could see the displays working even though they were black my end.
Regards Lance
Hello, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having this kind of problem. Can you please tell me the make of the laptop and the model number? Also have you updated the graphics drivers on the machine yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Computer is an MSI CX6i

im not sure about the graphics drivers, i had a guy in yesterday for a couple of hours, he worked on it but not sure what he did

Ok first let's see what kind of graphics is on that machine so I can locate the correct one. Can you by chance right click on the new start button and then left click on control panel let me know once you are there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im in the control panel

OK now then click on system security then click on system and then on the left click on device manager and then click on the arrow next to display adapter and tell me exactly what it says.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Display adaptor

Inter(R) HD Graphics 4000 has a ! in the icon

NVIDIA GeForce GT 645M

That's one of the problems ok standby I am going to locate the driver for you.
OK go to this link: http://www.msi.com/product/nb/CX61.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win8 64

First download the software for this: Intel HD Graphics Family_Intel Ivy Bridge

Let me know once installed and completed. You may need to restart please check to see and let me know once finished and if the ! sign has gone away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Charles,

i had to swap computers, the laptop dident like the upgrade, the screen went black for about 20 minutes so i restarted the computer know its just blue, the only thing viable is the mouse curser

Lance

OK so now it's going to bluescreen? That's strange for the drivers to be malfunctioning. OK are you able to get into the machine at all can you view anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just the courser,

OK let me ask you this. First I know something has caused this concerning windows 8.1 First did this machine come with windows 8 originally. Can you also tell me if you have any important data on this machine and by chance do you keep backups? Also is there anything showing on the built in screen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The machine came with windows 8

the machine is used as a work station, all the data is on a server

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

both screens are blue, the cursor can be seen in both (when you move it around)

Ok can you please restart the computer as soon as you see the machines logo push F12 repeatedly and tell me what it shows on the screen if that does nothing try F11.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the logo dosent come up tried F12 no luck

OK can you please remove the USB video adapter. Hold the power button until the computer shuts off and then turn it back on and then try both F12 and F11. Tell me is you see the MSI logo at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i removed the adapter and the computer started

i am back in the computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the display adapter don't have a ! now

That's what I thought was possibly causing the problem. Ok now plug that adapter back in and then go into device manager again for me please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all three screens now work, im am back in the display adaptor

OK any yellow ! marks at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no. all looks good, do you think that has fixed it permanently??

Try restarting the computer and check to make sure it stars normally. The driver should have fully updated for window 8.1 I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has rebooted ok, do you think that has fixed it permanently??

Unless anything changes the drivers or causes them to malfunction yes you should be good to do now.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.