Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance

I have a HP Pavilion 20 computer. We had a power outage last

I have a HP Pavilion 20 computer. We had a power outage last night and when the power came back on the computer is asking for a password. When I enter the password XXXXX gives me a message that I cannot sign on to the computer right now and to go to to fix the problem. The problem I have is I can't get past this point. Is there a way to bypass the sign on screen?
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is XXXXX XXXXX today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Please open the link below and let me know, if you are trying to login from that page or not ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you sure? because you said, you are trying to login to your computer and the link I have send is for an email account , please confirm the exact fault, otherwise I will continue to give solutions related to a problem and you will try them for another problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what is on the screen

please open the link and enter your complete email address in the username box and then enter the password XXXXX let me know, if you are able to login to your email account or not ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem is there is no box to enter the email address, The email address is already on the screen and is asking for a password. I think it might be tied into a microsoft program. I will see if there is another log in box and try the password.

Do you see anything, like "login as another user" or "use another account" etc.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes....there was an arrow to change users that I didn't know I had. I did enter the password XXXXX it worked. Can I take the password XXXXX of the start-up screen so the computer functions without the password?

Are you getting this login screen to log on to Windows desktop or your email address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows desktop

Do you use Windows 7 or Windows 8 ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 8

Thanks Mike, as the problem described in your question is solved, I wish you will give me a positive rating for my time and effort and for your second question about removing the password XXXXX log on , here are the steps that, you can follow..

Here is the link to a youtube video, where you can watch the same instructions to disable to log on screen.

1. From the Start screen, type netplwiz. The command for netplwiz, aka the User Accounts Control Panel, appears in the search results in the left pane. Click that command.
  2. In the User Accounts Control Panel, select the account you wish to use to log in automatically.
  3. Click off the check-box above the account that says "Users must enter a user name and password XXXXX use this computer." Click OK.
  4. Enter your password XXXXX and then a second time to confirm it. Click OK.
  5. Restart Windows. Windows now bypasses the lock screen and the log-in screen to automatically take you to the Start screen.
  6. Change your mind? To re-enable the log-in screen, simply return to the User Accounts Control Panel using the steps above and click on the check-box for the "Users must enter a user name and password XXXXX use this computer" option.