Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry

I have a 2+ year old Toshiba laptop with OS7 Premium, which

I have a 2+ year old Toshiba laptop with OS7 Premium, which I have not used much since purchase. Yesterday, I decided to get it more set up to use, and installed the latest version of Avast! internet security, which I had downloaded to a thumb drive from my desktop XP. It contained a license for 3 pcs and I wanted virus protection on my Toshiba. At that time, all seemed to go well. The program went onto my machine and I was able to get on the internet (WiFi in home through cable broadband service). So, after that went well, I decided to download the Windows updates -- there were about 60 or so. I had to go out of the house for a few hours, so I paused the program and resumed after I returned home. The updates appeared to continue fine and complete. I restarted my laptop, and at that point was unable to go anyplace on the internet. Using Google chrome as my browser. Sometimes even that page wouldn't load. I spent many hours, wearing out my eyes reading, trying to figure out how to solve this problem. The last hour I spent on it, after boot-up and arriving at my desktop, when I would click on any icon I would get an error message, usually a 'system error' message. One said a LPK.dll was missing; another said WINWORD.EXE - System error; another said SAIICpl.exe - System error; several GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe - System error and same for GoogleUpdate.exe, along with ApplicationError on that; lastly I got "The exception unknown software exception (0xc06d007e) occurred in the application at location Ox7730c4lf". Can you help me solve this or have I somehow really messed up this stuff? Maybe I should have stopped rather than paused the Windows7 update and stuff got corrupted? I did try to use the Restore program, and that is when I began getting all these error messages. Also the machine kept rebooting multiple times by itself and sometimes 'failed' to 'reconfigure'. I'm not real 'savy' with this newer computer stuff and don't understand all the jargon -- am I an 'administrator', am I on a network? -- but I have worked on my own home computers since '94, starting out with a DOS system, have successfully installed and used multiple software on multiple computers and windows systems over the years, now using an HP desktop non-WiFi Windows XP plugged into my cable modem, and sure didn't expect these kinds of problems. I hope you can help and shed some light on what I can do to fix my laptop. Thank you very much. Pat,XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

First I want to ask, do you have data on the Toshiba you need to save?

The reason is, with all the changes and fixing, it is going to be quicker for you to reinstall windows if you have not been using the computer.

I can tell you how, but want to know if you are ok to do this please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. I have no data I need to save. When I used the 'Recovery point' program once, it did delete the Avast! software I had installed, but I re-installed it again to be safer going online. However, I was never able to get online. My computer shows that I am ''connected' through WiFi, but after I get to my browser page (GoogleChrome) and click on a web site to go to, it doesn't go anywhere and I get a message saying 'Unable to load this page' -- or something to that effect -- so can't go anywhere. So, I don't know how I can reinstall Windows without being able to go online. And of course, sadly and foolishly, I did not create recovery discs on first opening the computer.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
thanks

turn off the computer.

Hold the 0 (zero) button and with it held down, turn on the computer.

Keep 0 held down till you get to the recovery manager.

when you do, follow the steps to perform a Factory Recovery which should then install windows again as new.

Let me know the results please

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your prompt reply. I will be copying and pasting your reply and print to my folder for future reference. As it turns out, I have not needed to use/try the fix you suggested above because between communications from us, I turned on my Toshiba (the problem computer) in case I needed to refer to something there when we 'talked' again, and when I went back to it, lo and behold, it seems to be working properly and I can not only connect to the internet I can get to any web site. I don't know what has happened b/w very late last night when I finally gave up on trying to fix it and turned it off and this afternoon when I turned it back on, but it seems to be working properly. Yahoo!!!!! I am presently making those back-up/recovery disks and hope I never have to use them. If I do run into similar trouble again, I will refer to your above fix and go from there. Thank you again for your service! I really do appreciate having a website like ask.com and have it bookmarked. Thanks! ;>) Pat

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Your welcome Pat

Computers generally get worried when I am around, so looks like he decided to behave himself :)

If you ever need anything else, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ha. Ha. Richard, I don't know if it was the 'threat' of your presence or what, but glad the machine (mysteriously) decided to shape up and behave itself! Knock on wood. Hope it stays in that good behavior mode for the rest of time! But if it doesn't, I'll be back! Thanks again. Pat

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here