James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

I have what sounds like a fan or hardrive issue. During operation

I have what sounds like a fan or hardrive issue. During operation of my Asus Essentio cm5571-br003 desktop, I have a whirring,grinding noise that comes and goes from inside the chassis. I have removed the side and cannot seem to pinpoint the noise. It seems to be getting worse and I want to avoid a hard drive failure it that is the problem. I have tried to pinpoint the noise and it seems loudest at the power supply as the noise flucuates. Any hints or thoughts would be appreciated.

My name isXXXXX

Welcome to Just Answer

The grinding noise indicate a HD issue

dose it sound like this

Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Very similiar but higher pitched. Also my hard drive indicator light does not flicker with the noise changes. When I put my hand on the hard drive I feel a clunking physically, is that normal or another indication that it si the hard drive ?

the noise is an indication

but drives to get louder with age

have you run and tests on the harddrive ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not as I am unsure how to do this. I do know that hard drives get louder with age but I have never had one that goes from quiet to noisy to the point where it sounds like it is stopping and then picks up and slows down as it make a different pitched sound for increases and decreases in noise. The computer sounds quiet completely when the noise stops. And then it will come back and continue with the varying pitch and volume.

Yes it strange , it could be Fan also from what you have said ,

was the fan dusty - a lot of nosies could be different things

Lets run a test on the drive

i can remote on and do this for you if on the machine now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Machine is on now and I would be glad to give you remote access. Just walk me throught what I need to do on my end.

Click Join

Click Run/OK/Yes if asked

Click Yes /Run /Allow if asked by Anti virus

Cheers James
Remote Support cheers James