Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am unable to open Evernote "internal problem, contact Evernote

I am unable to open Evernote "internal problem, contact Evernote support" I got an email w/instructions from Evernote that don't work. I need help. What is the cost?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

In order for me to assist you, I need to ask you a few questions about your system..

Starting with what version of mac osx do you have installed.. If your not certain, click the apple symbol to the top left of your screen. Then click about this mac, and it should tell us the version there.

Thank you,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Version 10.6.8

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Thank you Lena..

Lets try a simple repair first..

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

While that repair is running.. Can y ou verify if you have updated Evernote recently, and possibly that the update is what started to cause the issue your having? If not.. When was the last time that you remember the program would open correctly?

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have disk utility running now. I don't recall when I have updated Evernote. The program was running up until about 10/26/13

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks, after the permissions repair finishes..

Lets download and install the newest version of evernote from here..

http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/mac/

Let me know what happens during the install...

Thanks Lena,

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How will I know when the permission repair is finished?

to download newest version of evernote do I just click on the link you have sent me? What I need is to retrieve all my notes I have already put in Evernote that I can't get to. Will I be able to do that?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

To download the newest version, you would just click on the link I sent..

As far as the permissions repair being complete.. On the disk utility screen, it will say" permissions repair complete"

As far as backing up your local notes for evernote, if you make a copy of this folder.

User/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Then you will have your notes backed up.. This would be a good idea.. But your notes should also be stored on Evernotes server too.

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no where do I see "permission repair complete"

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

In that case, you may want to go into the disk utility, and then start the permissions repair again.

In the white text box under show details, is where it should say " permissions repair complete"

D.S

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok now that I know where to look I do see it - I had to scroll down to find that Now I click on the link you gave me for Evernote and try to log in?

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Before we try to update Evernote, Lets go ahead and try to find your evernote folder, and make a copy of it first.. Just in case..

This is the folder we need to find and copy

If you run into any issues locating that folder Lena, please let me know..

And also, I wanted to offer you our screen sharing option, with a screen share I can connect to you from here, see your screen, and help you resolve this issue in person..

If thats something you would prefer over written / guided help, please let me know.

D.S
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, lets do screen sharing ~ as you can tell I am not anywhere near an expert at all this computer stuff

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Lena.. For us to connect, I need you to use safari..

Then, using safari, access this link

http://166.78.231.170:8040/

The session id / password XXXXX Lena

once entered, it should ask you to download a file, called elsinore screen connect.. Once that file is downloaded, you will then need to open and install the file.. ( once installed, this file will connect us.)

If you run into any issues trying to download or install our connection please let me know!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It said I am connected to your session

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Were connected, and working the issue in remote.

D.S
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have done the feedback. I have no more questions. I keep getting this reminder to do both but I think I am complete with you and your service. Thank you