Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

ascer aspire screen wont come after booting up compter.

ascer aspire screen won't come after booting up compter.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Dan :

Hello and thank you for your question, I would be happy to help you today. Do you see anything flash on the screen at all?

Customer:

no

Dan :

How old is it?

Customer:

from 1 to 2 years

Dan :

Can you tell me the model number please?

Dan :

If you can't locate it try this; unplug the power and remove the battery. Hold down the power button for about one minute then reapply power and see if the display comes back up.

Customer:

I responded 1 to 2 years but I guess it didn't go through

Customer:

I responded 1 to 2 years but by mistake I hit the enter key sorry

Customer:

Hello, I'm hitting the reply button are any of my responses going through???

Dan :

Yes they are...finally. Did you get my last instructions?

Dan :

Still with me?

Customer:

Sorry, I wasn't scrolling upper screen and I didn't see your response. Does the model number start with SN

Dan :

That is the serial number. Never mind that for now, try following my instructions for the restart and see what happens. If you can't find them, I will send them again.

Customer:

SN: LXPWJ020010160123D1601 OK removing battery now.

Dan :

Hold the power button down for a good two minutes rather than just one.

Customer:

Ok...holding button down now

Customer:

Got battery back in and turned in on but still nothing.

Dan :

Does it appear to power up normally with the exception of the display?

Customer:

yes

Dan :

Do you have a separate computer monitor you can try connecting to? That will tell where the problem most likely will be.

Customer:

Let me add this, the battery was fully charged before but when I replaced the battery it wouldn't come on until I replaced the power cord.

Dan :

Remove the battery and try with just the power supply.

Customer:

I don"t think I have the proper cable to hook up to another monitor. Ok I'll remove the battery now.

Dan :

If you have another desk top computer, then you will have the proper cable.

Customer:

Do I need to let it sit for a little with battery out and powered off before I power back up

Dan :

No just go ahead and fire it up.

Customer:

I did and nothing happened. I do have a desk top so I'll hook it up to it.

Dan :

Just remember you will probably need to change the monitor output to the external monitor. You do that by pushing and holding the function key (fn) and either the F4 or F5 key on your keyboard.

Customer:

Still nothing

Dan :

Can you confirm the output is set for the external monitor?

Customer:

Now did I need to do that on my desk top before I unplugged it

Dan :

No on the Acer.

Customer:

OK, that's what I did and still nothing.

Dan :

Okay, just wanted to make sure. From the research I have done, the problem most likely is a failed video processor that is built into the motherboard. That is something that can be repaired but is not easy to do and will probably be expensive if you can't do it yourself.

Customer:

How much do you think??? I'm pretty good with my hands but I don't know it I would want to tackle something like that, although I do have a neighbor that can probably do it.

Dan :

The motherboard should be less than $100. If you take it to a repair shop, you will probably be looking in the $200 to $250 range and that is too expensive for a 3 year old computer. If you decide to replace it, you can remove the hard drive and place it in a portable USB case and retrieve any data you might have on it then use it for a backup source.

Customer:

That'll work...Thank you so much for your time and I apologize for my tardiness. It is my wifes laptop and having to work with both computers with no help well you know the rest. LOL!!!

Dan :

I understand. Computers are such fun... sometimes!!

Customer:

you hit it exactly...sometimes. I'm not going to say how long ago it was HA!!! but I did take computer programming in college a day or two ago.

Dan :

Machine language?? ;-)

Customer:

I will tell you that I just turned 62 in July. HA!!! Again I want to thank you for your time I appreciatel it tremendously. With that I will say have a Great and Blessed evening and I will let you go. Thanks Again!!!

Dan :

Well I'm not far behind! Feel free to let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer:

I've got your name and info and if I have any other problerms, I will definitely request you!!! Later...

Dan :

Have a good night

Customer:

YOU TOO!!!

Dan, Network Administrator
Experience: 25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.