Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I work for a small non profit organization. Our website is

I work for a small non profit organization. Our website is built in Joomla and hosted by Blue Host. We also use SiteLock for security. A local business first notified us that he wasn't able to access the site, in fact he was blocked and the message that came up was "You have neen (yes, neen, not been) blocked, notify webmaster for access!" At that time I was not having a problem accessing the site. I have been in touch with both Blue Host and SiteLock and neither have been able to resolve this issue. They have checked the .htaccess file in our cPanel and even done a search for the word "neen" to no avail. The other problem is it is intermittent and even I am getting the message now, but not all the time. The last resort was to contact a local computer scientist/web developer. He is familiar with WordPress not Joomla. He felt that the message may be coming from SiteLock and his suggestion was to turn SiteLock off. I checked with SiteLock and know that this would not be the message a person would receive from them. Do you have any suggestions? I'm really at my wits end with this. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 10 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you tell me the site address please?

Customer :

www.willits.org

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX take a look at this.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you please go to www.privnote.com, type in your cPanel details and Click Create Note.

Kamil Anwar :

Then copy the link and paste here.

Customer :

Ok, I think I understand. You'll need me to type in the login info for our account, right?

Kamil Anwar :

That's correct. I would need to take a look at the logs to see what they say

Kamil Anwar :

Once i view them, the note will be destroyed.

Kamil Anwar :

I would also need the details to login to Joomla to check the extension.

Kamil Anwar :

This seems like a custom splash message.

Customer :

https://privnote.com/n/jxeikdgvdblmazhk/#evzhryrjecjpusab

Kamil Anwar :

The note has been auto destroyed, can you please provide the details again.

Kamil Anwar :

Also provide details to login to Joomla Admin.

Kamil Anwar :

"You have neen (yes, neen, not been) blocked, notify webmaster for access!" The been and neen seems like when some one was working on the site, they put this message up. Since B and N keys are together on keyboard, they mistyped.

Customer :

I'm pretty sure that our webmaster did this to thwart hackers, but I don't know how he did it and he's passed away.

Kamil Anwar :

I will check this for you, and hopefully will be able to fix it.

Customer :

You want both the Blue Host login info and Joomla log in information, right?

Kamil Anwar :

The note you created has been auto-destroyed for some reason. Can you go to privnote.com again, create a new note and put both the joomla login info and the cPanel info.

Customer :

No problem.

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks

Customer :

https://privnote.com/n/sqhlykmqlzznbkla/#qvfqvfzprsnjaogz

Kamil Anwar :

Got it. Will check now.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have the FTP password?

Customer :

I don't think so, I looked at the passwords that I have and don't see one for FTP.

Kamil Anwar :

No problem, i will check it.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have access to webmaster @ willits.org ?

Customer :

I don't think so, but I'm looking through old emails from our webmaster now

Kamil Anwar :

Okay. Still looking into it.

Customer :

If I have access to the cPanel can I change the password XXXXX do I have to know the password XXXXX before I can change it?

Kamil Anwar :

You can change the password. You already have it, it's the one you sent me.

Customer :

I meant forXXX@XXXXXX.XXX - sorry.

Kamil Anwar :

Please type email with spaces

Kamil Anwar :

before and after the @ sign

Customer :

Ok, I meant can I change the password XXXXX webmaster @ willits.org if I'm in cPanel or do I have to know the password XXXXX I change it?

Kamil Anwar :

You change the password.

Kamil Anwar :

You do not have to have the old password XXXXX change it.

Kamil Anwar :

What was the name of the developer?

Customer :

Our webmaster? His name was David Xxxxxxxx

Kamil Anwar :

Okay. Let me get this problem fixed, then i will guide you through the cPanel.

Kamil Anwar :

You can add accounts / delete accounts / change passwords

Customer :

Thank you for your patience. As you may have already guessed, I'm not the sharpest stick in the bunch when it comes to this.

Kamil Anwar :

No problem, it's easy to manage.

Kamil Anwar :

You will learn it within 5 minutes.

Kamil Anwar :

There was an extension installed called BFStop

Customer :

Was that in Joomla? or was it installed in the cPanel?

Kamil Anwar :

That was installed in Joomla

Customer :

So Dave (our webmaster) must have installed it.

Kamil Anwar :

That's correct.

Kamil Anwar :

Here is the message:

Kamil Anwar :

{"blockEnabled":"1","blockedMessage":"You have neen blocked, notify webmaster for access! ","blockNumber":"3","blockInterval":"1","delayDuration":"0","loggingEnabled":"1","emailtype":"1","emailaddress":"webmaster@willits.org","userIDs":"42","notifyBlockedNumber":"-1","notifyFailedNumber":"1"}

Customer :

What is the next step, disable the extension?

Kamil Anwar :

I have now disabled this extension.

Customer :

Thank you! Now what do I need to do?

Kamil Anwar :

Nothing, i have disabled the blocking.

Kamil Anwar :

Do you want to go through the process of adding emails?

Kamil Anwar :

And changing passwords etc?

Customer :

Thank you! That would be good to know. Also, is there anything else that needs to be done in the cPanel?

Kamil Anwar :

Nothing :)

Kamil Anwar :

To access/change/modify emails

Kamil Anwar :

Login to BlueHost's Cpanel

Kamil Anwar :

On the top tab, select Email

Kamil Anwar :

Scroll down, and you will see options for each email stating "Change Password"

Kamil Anwar :

If you Click Change Password, the password XXXXX be changed.

Kamil Anwar :

If you want to create an account, scroll up and there are fields to provide a username, and a password XXXXX a button "Create Account"

Kamil Anwar :

When you press that button, Create Account. It will create the account.

Kamil Anwar :

The web master seemed to be very protective, which is a good thing :)

Customer :

He was very protective!

Kamil Anwar :

He did a good job, but what he put on was to prevent sites from Brute Force attacks.

Kamil Anwar :

Brute Force attacks cannot brute passwords generated on cPanel.

Kamil Anwar :

Instead, it just blocked the user attempting to access the site.

Customer :

Several months ago we'd had some problems with hackers and he could tell that many of them were from other countries and seemed to be wanting to somehow get control over our site.

Kamil Anwar :

They can't do anything with BruteForce.

Kamil Anwar :

SSH access is disabled, passwords are very secure.

Kamil Anwar :

The only time they will have access is when their is a vulnerability found with joomla.

Kamil Anwar :

Therefore, the best thing you can do is (patch the site, and always have a backup).

Customer :

What does patch the site mean?

Kamil Anwar :

Means, when their is a bug found and an exploit released -> Joomla will release a patch to secure the vulnerability.

Customer :

Ok, so we always want our version of Joomla to be up to date?

Kamil Anwar :

No, that may create incompatibility problems with other extensions not built to work with latest versions.

Kamil Anwar :

However, if you have a web developer doing it, then that's okay.

Kamil Anwar :

Because then, he will be able to tackle the issues that will come after the update.

Kamil Anwar :

Don't worry, right now! The site is good :)

Kamil Anwar :

SiteLock is there as well.

Customer :

Ok, I know that Dave always told me when there were updates and I always did the worrying if everything was going to be okay! LOL!

Kamil Anwar :

Dave did a very good job, site is perfect. Nothing to worry about, just get BlueHost to do regular backups.

Kamil Anwar :

Of the whole cpanel account.

Kamil Anwar :

If you have a problem in future, you can ask me directly. Bookmark my page :)

Customer :

When I talked to them I think I remember that they did automatic backups of the site - I should check to be sure to check that

Kamil Anwar :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-kanwaritexpert/

Customer :

One more thing.

Kamil Anwar :

BlueHost is one of the best companies around.

Kamil Anwar :

Please ask :)

Customer :

Yes, Dave thought so too! Do you know why it says (shared) under our website URL on Blue Host.

Kamil Anwar :

That means, the hosting account is shared. Meaning, they are running a server with other websites on it too.

Kamil Anwar :

It does not share any of the details, only the space on server.

Kamil Anwar :

Sorry, i got disconnected.

Customer :

Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help, you did what no one else has been able to do--fix the site! I noticed on your bio that you mentioned a bonus is appreciated. Is that done when we finish our conversation. Also, if I have your URL, does that mean I can get you if I have a problem in the future. Also, I've shared my login/password XXXXX with quite a few people, should I change that information too.

Kamil Anwar :

You're welcome. The comments are much appreciated. You will get the option to pay bonus after you rate my service by clicking the smiley icon, and paying bonus is your choice. I will be happy with the rating :)

Kamil Anwar :

If you have shared it with trusted people, then that's okay.

Kamil Anwar :

But if not, then you can change the passwords but then it may also be changed for the configuration files (for sql db).

Kamil Anwar :

Yes, when you open my page, you will get the option to ask me a question directly.

Customer :

Okay great!

Kamil Anwar :

Thank You :)

Customer :

Do I save and Exit and then do the rating? or the other way around?

Kamil Anwar :

If you just click on the rating icon, and click submit. The session will switch to a different mode.

Kamil Anwar :

The smiley icon, click on it and then submit, the rating will be completed and the session will be switched.

Kamil Anwar :

But you can still come back to me after rating. You will need to Click on My Questions, then click this question and there you will see an empty box to type your message, followed by 'reply to expert' button.

Customer :

Bless you and thank you again for all of your help! Lynn Xxxxxxxx, Willits Chamber of Commerce

Kamil Anwar :

After you rate me, you will see a window to do the bonus.

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Care and Have a very good day. :)

Kamil Anwar :

Are you having problems with the rating?

Kamil Anwar :

All you have to do is click on one of the smiley icons, then click submit.

41584.8122985764
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.