Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

I am on windows 8, using Adobe CS2. It has worked fine. I

Customer Question

I am on windows 8, using Adobe CS2. It has worked fine. I downloaded a trial plugin for Photoshop "Softener" (www.namesuppressed.com) and my laptop is now frozen. It is stuck in PS, with the "Buy Softener" pop up. NONE of my commands are responsive. Even if I try to navigate to their pop up, it disappears once I leave the task bar. Same with every single app. I can get no where at all.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 8 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you tell me when was this plugin installed?

Customer :

A couple of hours ago

Kamil Anwar :

Did you try a system restore?

Customer :

I can do NOTHING on my pc

Customer :

Did you read my message?

Customer :

I just got this laptop. I saved money for 18 months to buy it.

Kamil Anwar :

Don't worry, we'll fix it.

Customer :

I scrubbed floors, and toilets to get the money for it.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you press and hold the power button on the laptop for 10 seconds until it turns itself off.

Customer :

off now

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks. Please give me a moment to write step by step instructions.

Customer :

ok

Kamil Anwar :

Please turn the laptop on holding the shift key, as it is on, start tapping the F8 key until you are taken to the advanced options.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you see the advanced repair options?

Customer :

No

Customer :

I'll try again

Kamil Anwar :

What is it showing you?

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Customer :

blank

Customer :

hold on...I'll try again

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Customer :

This time it just rebooted

Customer :

It's working normally

Customer :

ugh...i wasted your time and my hard earned money

Kamil Anwar :

Glad to hear that, but at least, we have nothing to worry about now.

Customer :

So if it didn't start back up, and I got as far as advanced repair options, what would have been my next step

Customer :

?

Kamil Anwar :

To get to the restore menu from the Advanced Repair Options

Kamil Anwar :

Pick an older restore point, and restore the system to a date when everything was working.

Customer :

Thanks, Kamil. I just bought this thing yesterday. I worked so very, very hard for my family to have this.

Kamil Anwar :

This is common but i would recommend not downloading programs from sources that are not credible.

Kamil Anwar :

Have a good Antivirus on your system too, like AVG 2014 (which is free)

Customer :

CNET I thought was credible, and Norton said it was safe

Customer :

it came with a trial of Norton

Kamil Anwar :

That's okay then.

Kamil Anwar :

CNET hosts programs for alot of companies for the users to download

Customer :

Again, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to you.

Kamil Anwar :

Norton said it was safe because it didnt detect any virus, which is true.

Customer :

So a virus may not be the only issue. Perhaps incompatibility?

Kamil Anwar :

That's right, incompatibility.

Kamil Anwar :

You should also read the requirements for the program, whether it is supported on Windows 8 or not.

Customer :

Yes...and Adobe will no longer offer support for my old version of photoshop

Kamil Anwar :

Check reviews, etc. when downloading extensions from sites like namesuppressed. BUT if for any reason, some thing goes wrong, you always have the option to restore.

Customer :

I LOVE Photoshop with plugins, but mine is 7 years old, and I can NOT buy an updated one. It would cost more than I earn in weeks.

Customer :

well, I've taken enough of your time, Kamil.

Kamil Anwar :

Yes, it is indeed very expensive.

Customer :

God bless you richly

Kamil Anwar :

No problem, sorry i do not know your name :)

Customer :

My name is Grace

Customer :

I will leave good feedback for you

Kamil Anwar :

Thank you, Grace! Take care and Be Happy :)

Customer :

:)

Customer :

bye

Kamil Anwar :

Bye

Kamil Anwar :

To rate my answer, you can click the smiley icon then click Submit.

Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.