James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

I have ATT uverse, voip and was wondering, do I need a separate

I have ATT uverse, voip and was wondering, do I need a separate telephone number to use voip to receive calls to my pc. I still need, I will call it my "main" number to function independently. I already have a specific program that will handle the incoming calls and that I need to open a port on the 2wire router.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.

Are you planning to get a VoIP service, or use something like Skype?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I have att uverse which is VoIP service and I have a program that will handle incoming calls. It will be used for a transcription service. Physicians to call in their dictation.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

What is the name of the program please?

J.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Dial dictate telephone dictation system -

Telephone Line Options

You can use either regular PSTN phone lines connected to your PC via a voice modem or a professional telephony boards or Voice over IP (VoIP) lines which connect calls direct from your VoIP phone service company to your PC using the internet.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

For CallDictate to work, you can get a modem installed in your computer (physical device), that will be connected to your U-Verse phone line. In this case, you do not need a new phone number, and can use the one assigned by u-verse.

Another option is to use direct VoIP. For this, you need a VoIP program such as Express Talk. This doesn't require installing any physical device, but you will need a new phone number (Express Talk will assign you one when you sign up).

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I understand those options, linksys makes a modem, already researched that and already read about express talk. What I need to know is if a physician is calling in to dictate, will I still be able to make and receive calls on my actual telephone.

Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
If you go with the VoIP option (Express Talk) - then yes, you will be able to make/receive calls while a dictation is in progress.

If you use a modem, your actual line will be in use during dictation, so you won't be able to make/receive calls.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.