James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

I have ATT uverse, voip and was wondering, do I need a separate

I have ATT uverse, voip and was wondering, do I need a separate telephone number to use voip to receive calls to my pc. I still need, I will call it my "main" number to function independently. I already have a specific program that will handle the incoming calls and that I need to open a port on the 2wire router.

Are you planning to get a VoIP service, or use something like Skype?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have att uverse which is VoIP service and I have a program that will handle incoming calls. It will be used for a transcription service. Physicians to call in their dictation.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

What is the name of the program please?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dial dictate telephone dictation system -

Telephone Line Options

You can use either regular PSTN phone lines connected to your PC via a voice modem or a professional telephony boards or Voice over IP (VoIP) lines which connect calls direct from your VoIP phone service company to your PC using the internet.

Thank you.

For CallDictate to work, you can get a modem installed in your computer (physical device), that will be connected to your U-Verse phone line. In this case, you do not need a new phone number, and can use the one assigned by u-verse.

Another option is to use direct VoIP. For this, you need a VoIP program such as Express Talk. This doesn't require installing any physical device, but you will need a new phone number (Express Talk will assign you one when you sign up).

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand those options, linksys makes a modem, already researched that and already read about express talk. What I need to know is if a physician is calling in to dictate, will I still be able to make and receive calls on my actual telephone.

If you go with the VoIP option (Express Talk) - then yes, you will be able to make/receive calls while a dictation is in progress.

If you use a modem, your actual line will be in use during dictation, so you won't be able to make/receive calls.

Many thanks,

James.