Jason
Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: 
Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I have a question about how to alter my website to decrease

I have a question about how to alter my website to decrease the bounce rate.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Jason :

Hello again

Jason :

Decreasing the Bounce Rate is done in many ways. Depending on what issue is causing the high bounce rate, there are many solutions.

Jason :

First off, being that a lot of your site are blogs, you may have to insert a few pieces of coding in to the blog pages.

Jason :

In one example, if a person goes to one of the blog posts, stays there for 45 minutes reading the blog and then closes out, Google will recognize that as a 'bounce' because they only went to one page. However, a true 'bounce' is when someone goes to the page and just closes out soon thereafter.

Jason :

In your blog pages' code, you can enter the following code snippet:

<script type="text/javascript">
setTimeout("_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', '15_seconds', 'read'])", 15000);
</script>

Jason :

With that coding, a new 'bounce' will be created after they are on the page for 15 seconds, which will in effect, lower your bounce rate.

Jason :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Ok---I am committed to doing anything that will improve upon those who bounce right out---I used to go to a google site that gave me those stats but i lost it-I want to be able to monitor the effect of changes i make.

Customer:

I don't know what you mean by the above-new bounce created? Sounds artificial.

Jason :

"Bounce" is when someone goes to one of your pages and closes out a few moments later without clicking anything.

Jason :

If it is a blog, it will take more than a few seconds for them to read through the page.

Jason :

It's not so much artificial, as it is controlling the data input so that it actually makes sense.

Jason :

If someone spends one hour on your page reading a particular blog and then closes out, it will be considered a bounce.

Jason :

With that above code, it will not be considered a bounce because no bouncing occurred.

Customer:

ok----what are ways to prevent them from bouncing and not navigating the site?

Jason :

If someone goes to the page and just closes out, it is because either they don't like what they see and/or it was not what they were expecting to see.

Jason :

You may wish to look at which keywords are in play, as far as the search engine goes.

Customer:

I do pay attn to keywords but don't understand what you are saying.

Jason :

For instance, are you using Google Adwords to promote your site?

Jason :

oh

Jason :

Example:
If you are running a dog kennel and have the following keywords: cat, horse, dancing

- You would have people expecting things about cats, horses, and dancing.

I am saying that the keywords should not be off topic.

Jason :

But if you are paying attention to them, then that is probably not the case.

Jason :

Nowdays, the best thing to do when it comes to advertising, bounce rates, and such, is to use Google Adwords.

Customer:

I have had someone running a adwords campaign-they are experienced but I have not gotten a sigle conversion in 1 1/2 mo.

Jason :

Oh, okay. What kind of conversion are you referring to?

Customer:

them to come to my site and buy my service.

Jason :

Oh okay.

Jason :

In this case, I feel as though the culprit is your Adwords technician.

Jason :

It doesn't sound like he or she is keeping that up to date or setup correctly.

Customer:

I am trying to get to the bottom of why this is. They are coming to the site-spending my daily limit every day.

Jason :

Did your Adwords fellow set it up so you can see which page they are bouncing on?

Jason :

hjk

Jason :

Sorry for that 'hjk' item. Please, disregard.

Customer:

I don't know----they did give my the campaign management page-I have not looked it over--it may be there. I will have to try to find the google link I used before that gave me some of that.

Jason :

Yes, that sounds correct.

Jason :

Your Adwords technician should and will have all of that information for you.

Customer:

So---w/o going into the details of all of this----are there any other things to consider when it comes to improving bounce rate?

Jason :

Not really. Your Adwords fellow will agree that the above piece of code is a good idea for blog type sites.

In short, you may wish to consider making your landing page (home page) more interesting so people will feel the urge to stay and click on.

Jason :

I am not saying that your current page is not interesting or anything.

Jason :

But basically, that is one reason that bounce rates are so high.

Customer:

no problem---I think that in a lot of ways the site sucks. Ok---we should close this out as I want to ask you to give titles to my web pages next.

Jason :

Thank you kindly.

Jason :

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Jason :

Rating is done on this page by clicking one of those faces below, clicking Submit, and then clicking ok.

Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: