ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.

my internal keyboard does not work on my Dell XPS M1530 - tried

my internal keyboard does not work on my Dell XPS M1530 - tried system restore, device manager says driver is working properly. What do I do next?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer!

I'll be hones with you on the front end and tell you that this is almost certainly a hardware problem with the keyboard. As the keyboard is considered an essential piece of hardware, there is no software setting to disable it and it uses the most very basic of drivers (which Windows is reporting is working properly anyway).

There are a couple of easy ways to determine if this is the case, however.

1. The first is to attempt to enter the Dell BIOS. When you first boot up the machine, you should see a message come up before you get to Windows telling you can press a certain key (often F2 but not always) to get into "Setup." If you attempt to get into Setup using the keyboard and it doesn't accept the keystroke, then this is a dead giveaway that your keyboard is having a hardware problem.

2. Connect an external USB keyboard to the machine. If the external keyboard works fine but the internal keyboard does not, this also indicates a hardware problem.

If in fact the keyboard has failed on a hardware level you really only have two options. The first is to simply use an external keyboard. The second is to have the keyboard replaced. The good news is that keyboard replacements on among the most inexpensive fixes on laptops and shouldn't be too pricey. You'd want to call around to some local shops to get an estimate.

I really wish I had better news for you. I know how frustrating things like this can be. I've certainly run into similar issues with my own machines in the past.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know. You can reply back to me at any time via the "Reply to Expert" tab.

And please remember to use the ratings box to rate the answer at least "OK Service" or better before you run so that I receive credit for assisting you.