Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

While I was using my new laptop, some programs crashed, and

While I was using my new laptop, some programs crashed, and I decided that it would be easiest to just restart it. For some reason it then locked itself on the "restarting" screen, where it stays forever. I cannot force it to shutdown because of windows 8's "hybrid shutdown" feature, which just puts it standby mode, which then comes back to the restart screen when I open it again. And just to make it worse, on my laptop the battery is not accessable, so I can't even take it out.
All of this has resulted on my laptop being utterly useless, not able to do anything.

I hope there is some way to fix this

Thanks in advance

Hunter Owens :

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today.

Hunter Owens :

I understand how this can be a frustrating issue. What is your laptop's model number?

Customer:

Do you mean it's serial number?

Hunter Owens :

Hi, are you in the chat?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I asked if you meant it's serial number

Customer:

if so, it is 8D034264S

Customer:

Are you there?

Hunter Owens :

I'm not sure if your messages are not being sent or if you're not in the chat. You are correct in that the normal shutdown, isn't a true shutdown.

To do a true shutdown, hold down the Shift key while clicking the shutdown icon, and continue to hold Shift until the laptop is fully turned off. This only works on the shutdown option, not the restart.

In this case, I would recommend waiting until the laptop's battery fully depletes itself, then plug it back in and press the power button to turn it on. However, in the future if something freezes use the Shift - Shutdown method.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems like you weren't able to see my answers before, so I would like to chat again if possible, to see if you will then be able to see my chats

Hi Emil,

I'm very sorry that we encountered a bug where your messages weren't being displayed to me in the chat. What is your laptop's model number, not the serial number? Also, did you get my most recent message about the Shift Shutdown method? I can't switch back to a chat, but we can exchange messages on this static message page.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bugs happen, I guess you can't avoid them, so it's ok.

The model number is: PSPMGE-007004N5

Thank you.

You mentioned that you tried holding down the power button. I'm not sure how long you tried holding it down for. To manually turn the computer off you usually need to hold it down for at least ten seconds.

If the power button won't work and you can't access the battery, then the only option left in this case is to wait for the battery to fully deplete on its own. If it won't respond to the power button, it's not going to respond to any other key combinations.

If a program freezes again in the future, you'll want to do a Hard Shutdown by holding down the Shift key while clicking the shutdown icon, and continue to hold Shift until the laptop is fully turned off. This only works on the shutdown option, not the restart.