Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
Experience:  Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration
2888018

Lenovo Think Pad Z570. Screen is dark but can see mouse.

Lenovo Think Pad Z570. Screen is dark but can see mouse. What is wrong?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Justin replied 12 months ago.
Greetings and welcome to Justanswer.

This is a very common (and annoying) issue with Windows 8. It's usually related to the video card as well.

We need to get you into a working environment, so this is what I'd like you to try first. Shut the laptop down. Remove the battery, and unplug the computer from the wall for about 15 seconds. Plug the battery back in and power up. This SHOULD bypass the black screen, for the time being. Once in, go to Metro (the default startup screen of Windows 8) and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Or you can initiate the run box by holding down the windows logo key and with it still held down tap the letter R. Then you may type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. This will open device manager. Expand display adapter in device manager, right click the video card (likely an Intel HD graphics card) and click uninstall, you may leave the driver if a prompt appears with a checkbox.

Once finished, restart the machine, it should reload the graphics driver.

Now, if the battery removal didn't get you into windows. The next time you see the Black screen, hold down ctrl + alt + del and release. Hold them in that order, pressing and holding one at a time. It Should bring up task manager. From task manager you can click File at the top of it and click run, and then type devmgmt.msc from there and hit enter.

Please try my steps and confirm resolution before using the rating system. If my steps were not successful or you get stuck somewhere, please use the reply button and let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Thanks!
Experience: Network Specialist Degree, A+/Net+ Certs, 10 years Contract IT/Network Administration