James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

Im trying to boot up a computer using clonezilla software

I'm trying to boot up a computer using clonezilla software which is burnt on a cd. It boots up on newer computers but old computers(5-7years old dell computer with XP OS). is it possible to make a bootable clonezilla USB? Or should I get a new external cd rom drive that can read burnt cd better?

It is totally possible and supported to run Clonezilla from USB - it is called Live USB for Clonezilla.

All the instructions and details are here:

http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a new quetion. I heard that if your hard disk sapce gets full, computer speed gets slow. how much speed does it affect and noticable?

That is absolutely NOT true. Hard drives are designed to get full (at least somewhat) in order to store data.

If they get full, as long as they are not completely full, you are just fine, and will not notice any performance issues.

The term "full" may relate to computers that have a LOT of difference programs installed on them - this may indeed cause performance issues.

I hope this makes sense!

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I do method A tuxboot or method B manual to create boot up USB? had hard time trying tuxboot.

Either one should work - I used both methods and didn't have problems.
If tux is not working for you, go ahead and do the manual one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I download the Clonezilla live(stable release) from the link below, it downloaded ISO file instead of zip file(First instruction says zip file) so I couldn't extract it to USB flash drive. What am I doing wrong?

Instruction from the link you gave me:

1. Download the Clonezilla Live zip file.

2. If you already have a partition of at least 200 MB in size on your USB flash drive formatted with a FAT file system then skip to the next step (3).
    Otherwise create at least a 200 MB partition on your USB flash drive and format it with a FAT16 or FAT32 file system.

3. Extract all the contents of the zip file to FAT16/FAT32 partition on your USB flash drive. Keep the directory architecture, for example, file "GPL" should be in the USB flash drive's top directory (e.g. G:\GPL).

4. Browse to your USB flash drive and as an administrator, click the makeboot.bat in the dir utils\win32\. WARNING! Makeboot.bat must be run from your USB flash drive.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    (PS: The above description is modified from: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/02/all-in-one-usb-dsl. Thanks to PDLA from http://pendrivelinux.com)

The .ISO file is a zip file - you can open it with Winzip (www.winzip.com).

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to replace a HDD with SSD. there are HDD0, HDD1, HDD2, SATA0 and SATA1 port. the existing hard drive which is sata hard drive is connected to HDD0. Should I just connect the new SSD to HDD0 or SATA0? what's the difference between HDD0 and SATA0? theri data cable size are the same thin one.

They are the same, they are all SATA ports. The ones marked SATA are simply designated for CDROMs or other devices that are not hard drives.
You can connect the SSD to any of the HDD ports, the computer can boot from any port (any HDD and any SATA port). The names and numbers are meaningless, they just represent some logical boot order, which you can actually override in the BIOS.

Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Dell T3600 desktop which has Windows7 64bit with 4gb ram memory. Just purchased 2x4gb ram to increase the memory but when I install them the computer doen't boot up. error massage says "Alert! The amount of systme memory has changed. Your current power supply does not support the recent configuration changes made to your system........"

If I take out the current 4gb ram and put these two new memory cards, the computer will boot up but still the same error massage shows.

Well, the computer is pretty much telling you what the problem is - you need a higher-capacity PSU. This is the rectangualr box where power comes in.
You can get a new one for around $80 at any local computer store, and replacing it is easy - but do take your out and bring it with you so they can match you up with a compatible, higher capacity one.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to save an image using clonezilla. Can I restore the image to a different computer which is the same model Dell T3600 with windows7 OS with all the same setting but different processor? I heard you can only restore an image to a same exact computer model with setting if window XP OS but Windows7.

It depends on how different the processor is. Usually, the processor driver will work with similar processors, so you can restore the image onto another computer.

If the motherboard is different as well, it will need different drivers, though. If this is the case, the computer will fail to boot since it will be using the wrong drivers.

Many thanks,

James.