Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

This laptop for an unidentified reason has started behaving

This laptop for an unidentified reason has started behaving oddly: when it starts up a window immediately appears which I can remove, but then almost half the usual icons are missing. When I try to re-enter them it tells me they are there. Showing the hidden files makes no difference: they are still not visible but said to be there. I would be glad if you would take over the laptop. On your advice I have changed to Avira. On your advice I changed from Handy Backup to another which worked no better. Although I had removed Handy it suddenly returned and worked prefectly again. If it stops working it works again after rebooting. The present fault is arbitrarily hiding icons which declare they are not hidden. I would like this laptop stabilized. John XXXX

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me when the problem first started please John?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Within the last week. John

Thanks John,

I want you to do a system restore please.

This will not touch your personal files, but will return the system files to correct working order.

Click Start, type in

System Restore

Press Enter.

Follow the steps to do a restore, using a date before this problem occurred.

When it has completed, check and tell me please if you are still having the problem.

Thank you
Hi John

I saw your duplicate Question.

You Rate here, on this answer please.

Thank you