Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

Outlook Express is missing STD11N.MSI - is says the following

Outlook Express is missing STD11N.MSI - is says the following : "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource the is unavailable." How do I fix this?
Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you please tell me when this problem first started?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem started last night when I was trying to create a new email identity in Outlook Express. It says it can't create a cache because the

STD11N.MSI file is missing.

Thank you Renee,

Can you click Start, Run, type in CMD and press enter.

A black window will open. Type in

sfc /scannow

press enter. It should then check and replace any missing Windows System Files, including STD11N.MSI

Once it has completed, restart the computer and tell me if Outlook Express now operates correctly please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Outlook Express is still having the same problem. I made screenshots of the 3 error messages I've gotten since I did what you suggested, so I will attach these. Number 01 is a new error message and happened when I reopened Firefox to bring you up again, #02 is the original problem, and #03 just seems to have come along with #02. I got 02 & 03 again when I attempted (again) to setup the new identity in Outlook Express. So as far as my original problem goes, nothing has changed yet.

So, what's next?

ok, you will then need to do a repair of windows.

Put in the Windows XP disk that came with the computer.

Restart the computer and keep tapping any key until the disk loads.

When it has, follow the onscreen instructions to perform a repair of Windows XP.

this will then replace all missing files so that Outlook should then be functioning correctly.

Do this and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have the repair disc anymore - this computer is 10 years old and I have moved several times recently since I got dumped for another woman. I now live in a tiny RV, so things like that didn't come with me. Can I download this somewhere?

No sorry, as that would be illegal.

But we need the disk to replace the file. Are you able to borrow it from a friend?

If not, we would need to look at an alternative free email program.

You can use Thunderbird, which is free to download and use, and is similar to Outlook Express.

This you can download from my link below.

But without the disk to install the missing file, you would need to look at an alternative email program such as this Renee.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will email my ex and see if I can get the original discs to make the XP repairs later on. For now I have downloaded Thunderbird which looks like it will give me want I need for the time being. Thank you for the suggestion. As I Firefox user I like Mozilla's products and am likely to likely to be quite happy with Thunderbird once I get used to it.

Thank you for your help. I guess we're done now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't accidental sign up to a membership, did I? This is just a one time charge. Correct?

Your welcome Renee,

It is just a one time charge, unless you choose to join the subscription (you would have agreed to that on the form).

But any questions about that, please [email protected] (I am just an engineer here).

Thunderbird is alright though, and in my opinion, better then Outlook Express.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you