Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
59162784

On my Win8 computer, I would like to be able to control the

On my Win8 computer, I would like to be able to control the size of the 'window8 partition'. Right now, I have either a small window portion on the right or left side. Would love to be able to 'quad' my screen with four different partitions/uses of either a Win8 'application' or a traditional window's program.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Are you referring to disk partitions or sections of your screen?

I am a little confused.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sections on my screen - a Win8 app is either the entire screen, the right sliver, or the left sliver. I can't make it like 1/4 or 1/2.

The example is when I am skyping, and I would like to be doing other things in other windows/sections and I'm limited to the above.

Tks

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update.

You can use the following application to do this: http://winsplit-revolution.com/download

The application above gives you full control over placement of Windows by using shortcut keys.

Example:
You can make Window 1 be in the top left 1/4 section, another Window be in the bottom left 1/4 section, another in the top right 1/4 section, and so on.

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Jason:

I reviewed the s/w and it doesn't say that it is Win8 compliant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I guess I was hoping that there was a native way to do it. I have seen on Win8 tablets that they are able to control/manage/position 1/2 of the display screen and was hoping it was some type of setting or configuration that would allow it.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
I am aware of that.

It will work.

There is no native way to do it, surprisingly enough.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It doesn't work for the Win8 apps. I have no trouble controlling the normal non-Win8 apps.

Any other clues?

Thank you.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.
"How" does it not work?

What happens when you try?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I run a Win8 app from the Win8 start menu - like Skype, it will either take the right sliver, about 1/5 of the right side of the screen, the left sliver, about 1/5 of the screen, the whole screen, or all the screen but the right or left sliver.

The program you had me install doesn't affect the Win8 app - on the other ones.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the update.

I did not realize that you were wanting to do that with the new Win8 apps. I thought you were referring to the older application style on Windows 8.

The Windows 8 applications do not have a native way to do what you wish.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

I wish you luck,
- Jason
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Jason. I appreciate the effort.

I have been searching for the past 2 weeks for the Win8 apps to be able to have more than the sliver, but not the whole screen.

Expert:  replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

The Metro interface doesn't really let you define Window locations right now. However, you can use a utility that will run the Windows 8 app on the Windows 8 desktop instead of the Metro (start screen) interface which will then allow you to resize, move, minimize or do whatever you like with those running apps.

It's called ModernMix and it is written specifically for Windows 8 by StarDock. You can download a trial of it here: http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

Or if you'd prefer to see a video of it in action, you can see that here:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience: Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Brian:

This program certainly helps me manage and control the size of the Win8 apps. I also downloaded the Win8.1 upgrade, and it also allows me to control the size of the app - but not to the extent that ModernMix does.

Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
You are welcome. Please feel free to ask for me anytime. Take care. :)