Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.

I use AVG free for security, and I am unable to update it...

I use AVG free for security, and I am unable to update it... (says needs to be updated but when I try to update I get a message that update failed.) I attempted to download the trial version of full AVG protection, but that seemed to have no effect. I also get the windows security center notification that my malware protection is out of date. Meanwhile, it is taking 24 hours plus from the time of sending for my emails to be received. Don't know if this is a related or separate issue.

I using a Lenovo N500, running Windows Vista Basic.

Let's try downloading the updates off of the AVG website to see if we can update AVG semi-manually.

1. Cick here to open the Update Download page in a new window.
2. One at a time, we're going to download the two most recent updates: Iavi: 6766 and Link Scanner: 1958.
3. Simply click on the name of the first one to start the download and save it somewhere easy to find such as your Desktop or Documents folder.
4. Once you've downloaded all three of the files, open AVG.
5. In AVG, click on Tools and then Update from Directory.
6. Browse to the folder that you saved the downloads and then click OK.

Look forward to hearing from you,

To get connected remotely please go to and click on Start Meeting. A small plugin download will start and when it finishes installing a small box will appear in the top middle of your screen with a 9-digit-code. Please send that code to me and we'll connect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Code is 165-350-790

Thanks for your patience. Your AVG installation was more corrupted than I originally expected. However, the new installation is working great and you are all up-to-date now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much Hunter - wonderful service. I very much appreciate your help.