Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  30+yrs computer experience, HNC Computing, Microsoft Certified Professional, CompTia A+, ASAP, UNITE
17900009

I need help to restore my computer to wednesday 16th October,2013,

I need help to restore my computer to wednesday 16th October,2013, when Internet Explorer 8 and my Microsoft Office Outlook disappeared along with other programmes I had on my computer. I have been trying to handle things myself but I just can't. I need a lot of help. I had a virus on the computer even though I have AVG Internet Security. Your help would be appreciated.
Mrs. Cheryl Fitzgerald

Maggie P :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the computer expert who will be helping you today with your missing programs.

Could you please press and hold the Windows key and at the same time press R. A run box will open, type in the run box explorer.exe then press enter. On the explorer window which opens go to Tools > Options and click on the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders then click OK.

Open up the Run box again by pressing the Windows key and R then type %Temp%\smtmp and press enter. Let me know what happens.

Customer:

a message comes up windows cannot find

Customer:

I need some one to gain remote access to my computer as I am not computer literate

Maggie P :

OK thank you. Some rogue applications will actually hide your shortcuts in that location, since you do not have that folder then the following tool will restore the default shortcuts and start menu and any other programs you have will need a new shortcut created by right clicking on the programs .exe file and selecting create new shortcut. Download and run the unhide.exe from DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

Customer:

Will I still keep chat open or not? while I download the programme

Maggie P :

Yes you can keep it open if you want or you can bookmark this page to return here at anytime.

Customer:

I don't know how to bookmark!

Maggie P :

You can press and hold the CTRL + D to save the bookmark, then to return here depends on your browser either open the Bookmarks menu or the Favorites menu to see your links. Or you can copy and paste this link into a Notepad http://www.justanswer.com/computer/828xl-need-help-restore-computer-wednesday-16th-october-2013.html?src=dn

Customer:

Thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated. Regards

Maggie P :

You are very welcome. Are now able to see all your programs?

Maggie P :

Please be sure to go to explorer (My Computer) Tools > Options > View and select Do not show hidden files and folders.

Customer:

I haven't downloaded yet. I will now.

Maggie P :

OK I will be on standby in case you need any further help.

Customer:

Thanks

Maggie P :

You are welcome.