QCIHDTM
QCIHDTM, Escalation Engineer
Experience:  MCSE all, A+, Security+, Networking+, Windows Internals
23885963

Hello, How exactly is LDAP distinct from CAS in regards

How exactly is LDAP distinct from CAS in regards XXXXX XXXXX Sign-On authentication processes? Aside from knowing how they are different in terms of their functionality, I’d also like to know why one might be preferable over the other.

In addition, on a somewhat similar note, could you please clarify the difference between web service and smart agent methods of communication? Please know that I am not sure if smart agent is its formal name so hopefully you know what I’m referring to

Last, where does SOAP come into play with anything I’ve asked above and what does it have to do with XML?

Thank you in advance!

QCIHDTM :

Hi...

QCIHDTM :

I'll try to answer your questions...

QCIHDTM :

1)

QCIHDTM :

CAS vs LDAP... that is not necessarily a good comparisson

QCIHDTM :

CAS may relies on LDAP for authentication

QCIHDTM :

CAS is a service that basically validates that provides a token/cookie to clients to present to registered services (registered to the SSO infrastructure)

QCIHDTM :

in order for the client to obtain the token/cookie, CAS needs to first validate the user and pwd for that client

QCIHDTM :

it does so through LDAP

QCIHDTM :

I remember seeing a nice google presentation about this a while ago...

QCIHDTM :

let me search it for you because I really liked the way they presented it...

QCIHDTM :

k...got it...

QCIHDTM :

http://www.kdaweb.com/resources/using-cas-and-ldap-to-provide-single-sign-on-sso-into-google-apps

QCIHDTM :

you still there?

QCIHDTM :

With regards XXXXX XXXXX as you know it stands for Simple Object Access Protocol...SOAP is the main protocol used for systems to systems communication and it is based in XML...

QCIHDTM :

as the W3C defines it.... "A Web service is a software system identified by a URI, whose public interfaces and bindings are defined and described using XML. Its definition can be discovered by other software systems. These systems may then interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by its definition, using XML-based messages conveyed by Internet protocols."

QCIHDTM :

So... SOAP is not "necessary" but it is useful in most scenarios where a web service is offered.

QCIHDTM :

However, there are some instances where SOAP might only complicate things....you will see many sites that only use XML and they do not encapsulate it in a SOAP message...

QCIHDTM :

I assume that your "agents vs services" question is geared towards the difference between web agents and web services...

QCIHDTM :

basically agents go out to perform a task (they read data from a website for instance)...

QCIHDTM :

in contrast, web services are waiting to be contacted to perform a task (like an API would).

QCIHDTM :

did I answer your questions?

QCIHDTM :

if so, please ACCEPT my answer and leave positive feedback if you are happy with my work)