Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

When pavilion slimline s5-1224 goes to sleep, it will not wake

Customer Question

When pavilion slimline s5-1224 goes to sleep, it will not wake up...or the monitor never comes active. The disk light comes on so it appears it wakes up but the monitor never displays anything. Using one VGA monitor connected to the analog/digital connection with adapter.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Shefin :
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.
Shefin :
Please let me know when you are ready.
Customer:

Ready

Shefin :

Have you tried the power button to wake up the computer from sleep?

Customer:

Yes. It looks like there is disk activity but the screen never changes.

Shefin :

Have you tried choosing different power options?

Customer:

If I turn sleep off I don't see the problem

Shefin :

We will try choosing it again.

Shefin :

Please wait a minute.

Shefin :

Please get into Control panel and select Power Options.

Customer:

ok

Shefin :

From the left pane, select Change when the computer sleeps.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

currently never

Shefin :

Select Turn off the display as 10 minutes and computer as 20 minutes.

Customer:

ok

Shefin :

Under that, select Change Advanced Power settings.

Customer:

k

Shefin :

Expand Sleep.

Customer:

k

Shefin :

Sleep after is 20 miniutes. Right?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Allow Hybrid Sleep is enabled. Right?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Hibernate After is Never. Right?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Allow wake timers is enable. Right?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Okay.

Shefin :

Close that and het into Device manager.

Shefin :

Close that and get into Device manager.

Customer:

k

Shefin :

Do you see Mice, and other pointing devices?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Expand it and right click on the mouse name under that, and select Properties.

Customer:

k

Shefin :

Then, select Power management tab.

Customer:

k

Shefin :

Allow this device to wake up the computer is checked. Right?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Then, in device manager, expand Keyboards and right click on the mouse name under that, and select Properties.

Shefin :

Then, select Power management tab.

Shefin :

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Okay.

Shefin :

Close that and please wait a minute.

Shefin :

Try sleep mode.

Customer:

I'm on the computer with the issue

Shefin :

Is it a desktop computer?

Customer:

yes

Shefin :
Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me.
Shefin :

Then, put the computer to sleep mode.

Customer:

I should be able to switch to another pc...1 min

Shefin :

If you are unable to get out from sleep, please press the power button for 30 seconds and restart the computer.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

ok

Shefin :

Try sleep now.

Customer:

function + F2 ?

Shefin :

Please check the keyboard for a sleep button.

Customer:

will start \ shutdown \ sleep work?

Shefin :

Yes.

Customer:

It came out of sleep by pressing fn + f2 (moon graphic on key)

Customer:

nothing else would bring it back

Shefin :

Only by Fn and F2?

Customer:

y

Shefin :

Were it working with Fn and F2 before?

Customer:

It looked like the monitor turned off and didn't actually go to sleep

Customer:

1 min

Shefin :

Sure.

Customer:

Tried it again. the blue light on the CPU changed to amber. XXXXX XXXXXght went out after pressing a key.

Customer:

went back to blue

Shefin :

That means it is working. Right?

Customer:

It appears so...I'd like to change the sleep setting to 1 minute and see what happens when the system does it automatically.

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

did we change anything

Shefin :

Is it working now?

Customer:

it worked after 1 minute. normally when it doesn't work the monitor has an LED that flashes between red and blue...

Shefin :

We did not change anything. However, it has all proper sleep mode configuration now.

Shefin :

When it is in sleep mode, the computer's power LED may blinks.

Shefin :

Whenever the monitor goes off, it will change the color to amber.

Customer:

ok, let me go thru a restart. If all is ok we can close call.

Customer:

I'll rejoin momentarily

Shefin :

Okay.

Customer:

Looks like it is working as expected. Thanks for your help.

Shefin :

You are most welcome!

Shefin :
I request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face once you have all the information you need.
Shefin :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Customer:

I will set the sleep, monitor off and screensaver options now. If the same issues occurs later today will I be able to go back to this link with follow up questions?

Shefin :
Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime.
Shefin :

I will be happy to assist you.

Customer:

Many thanks for your assistance!

Shefin :

You are most welcome1

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need additional assistance...

This morning the computer did not appear to be in sleep mode. The monitor LED was flashing like there was no signal. I tried to wake the computer. I saw no disk drive activity. After multiple reboots, I had to do the following > 30 second power reset. > pressing ESC until menu > Select Windows Recovery > Click X to close recovery > Click to confirm reboot > At Safe mode boot screen > Select boot normal.

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure that it goes to the sleep mode? Or simply turning off?

Please try the below instructions too.

1. Go to Start, type power options in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2. Click "Change plan settings".

3. Click "Change advanced power settings".

4. In the popup window, expand "Sleep".

5. Change "Allow hybrid sleep" to "Off".

6. Click OK.

If the issue still persists, please run power efficiency diagnosis by following the instructions in the link below and let me know if you get any errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976034

Also, try updating the computer's video driver and check if the issue persists. GO to the link below, select your operating system (E.g. Windows 7, 64 bit), then click next. Select Driver - Original and under that, click Original Intel Graphics Driver. Then click Download. Download and install the driver.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5231538&

Thank you.
S H E F I N