James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

I have an Acer Aspire M3201 that I purchased January 7, 2009.

I have an Acer Aspire M3201 that I purchased January 7, 2009. On Monday (10/14/13) when I turned it on, a screen came up written in DOS that, among other things, stated that my CMOS battery was low. I noticed that the system date and time had re-set to May of 2008! I reset the date & time and the system seemed to work ok.

The next day (yesterday), I got the same screen, so I went further into those pages and reset the date & time. That was the last time I got the screen with the DOS writing. However, yesterday when I tried to get on the internet, the system just turned off.

I talked to my daughter who is pretty, tech-savy, about it and she said it sounds like it'd ready to go & make sure everything is backed up. I did that, so I haven't lost anything.

I tried to get on to delete my files and related info from the drive, but it kept shutting down.

Can you tell me if it is a lost cause? Is there anything I might be able to do to resurrect it (without paying more than a new system would cost)?

Thanks,
T Cotham
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

You should replace the CMOS battery with a new one. They are very cheap, and are easy to replace. They cost about $5-$10 at any local computer or electronics store. The model of the battery you need is called CR2032.

Here is a picture that shows the battery on the computer's motherboard. You simply need to pop the old one out, and push the new one in:

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this why it keeps shutting down?

I can't say for sure, but it can be a likely cause. I can say for sure it is the reason for the lost date/time.

There might be another problem hiding behind the dead battery problem, but we have to replace the battery first to make sure.

I hope this makes sense!

Many thanks,

James.