Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

I have a Sony Vaio computer. I am trying to copy photos from

I have a Sony Vaio computer. I am trying to copy photos from the computer to an iPad v2 using Windows Media Player. It almost works, but the Start Sync on the Sync tab doesn't work (it's greyed out), nor does the start sync when I press the little ticked box for options (also greyed out). I have the ipad plugged into the computer - I know it's working because it charges.

Are you able to help with this?

Hunter Owens :

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today.

Hunter Owens :

The only way to get files from your computer onto your iPad is through iTunes. Do you have iTunes installed?

Customer:

Yes - but photos don't appear in the Library

Hunter Owens :

If you open iTunes, go to your iPad, and click on the Photos tab, is the Sync Photos from option checked?

Customer:

I'm sorry, i don't have my ipad with me but I haven't done that. Where is the Photos tab on the ipad? I am using iPhoto.

Hunter Owens :

Sorry, should have said to select your iPad from the sidebar within iTunes on your computer. You do it all on your computer with your iPad connected to it. Click here to see a sample screenshot.

Hunter Owens :

Does that screenshot help?

Customer:

Yes it does - but that is where one of my difficulties arises - the Devices Heading doesn't ever show up in the left hand column.

Hunter Owens :

Does your iTunes look like that or does it have a different look to it?

Customer:

It looks quite like that - it certainly used to, but I think during the interminable hours I spent trying to copy the photos yesterday, that a new version of iTunes downloaded and it looks a bit different. But still largely the same.

Customer:

Because the Devices heading isn't there, I don't have any of the Right hand side of the page though.

Hunter Owens :

I'll give you some instructions to try to make the iPad visible.

Hunter Owens :

1. Exit iTunes and disconnect your iPad and any Apple devices if they're connected.
2. Click on the Start button.
3. Type Services into the Start Search box.
4. Click on the top Services result that appears under Programs.
5. In the pop-up window that appears scroll down to iPod Service. Right-click on it and select Restart.
6. Open iTunes.
7. Connect your iPad.

Customer:

Hunter - thank you. XXXXX said, I don't have my iPad with me today. I will try these things tonight when I get home. Is it possible to print off this page for reference?

Hunter Owens :

Yes, let me make a print-friendly format for you real quick.

Customer:

Thank you

Hunter Owens :

Click here and then click Download to download a .PDF of our chat. You can save it to your computer and print it.

Customer:

Thank you - can I contact you again direct if the problem persists. OR should I just contact just answer as I did today?

Hunter Owens :

If you want to bookmark http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-howens/ it will go straight to me with any questions that may arise.

Hunter Owens :

Did you get it?

Customer:

Yes thank you